CrisD

I guide trips on stillwater and use float tubes or not. We catch fish either way, however we catch the bigger fish from the belly boats. Besides the wonderful information already posted above, the other advantage to tubes is mobility. I have found that the fish in lakes are often times cruisers. You could fish the same water and eventually the fish will show up, or you could use a boat or belly boat to find them.

I also like to fish the edges, but I will be out 30 +/- yards, cast into shore, weeds, or shelf and strip back to the boat. I use a 4 wt, fast action with either floating or sinking line. The fish are closer to the surface early and late in the season and early and late in the mornings. During that time, a floating line, with a long leader and a nymph works wonders. In the heat of summer or middle of the day,however the fish will go much deeper and you will need a sinking line/tip.

I like to fish with egg sucking leeches, blood worms, and fresh water shrimp patterns for sinking and mosquito, adams or gnats for drys.

I believe that every Jim Teeny line has a DVD that has some wonderful casting and fishing strategies and tips.

You can find images of some of my stillwater trips at [url=http://www.alaskanfishguides.com/galleries.htm:f4c82]www.alaskanfishguides.com/galleries.htm[/url:f4c82]

Good luck.