Thread: creede & south fork, colorado

Threaded View

I've stayed in almost all of them along the Silver Thread highway and along the Rio from South Fork up to the reservoir. I've also just camped on back country roads in the National Forest as well. Used to camp fairly regularly above Creede on the Bachelor loop but that is not as easy as it once was---folks are now claiming the mining claims so it is difficult to know when you are or are not on private property. For convenience to Creede I would suggest Marshall Park (there's one mile of public fishing there in the river) and it's only about 4 miles to town and just a little ways from the Antlers where we like to eat. You'll likely need reservations depending on the time you expect to be there since it is a smallish campground. Palisade is downstream from Creede but before you get to South Fork along the river--also with a couple of miles of public river access. It feels like a larger campground but also fills up like any along the highway. I can't speak for the fishing at either spot--I don't usually fish right at the campgrounds, especially in late summer. I prefer to spend at least one night a summer up at 30 mile or River Hill. Both have a lot of public water nearby. These are closer to the headwaters. 30-mile is my favorite NFS campground in the immediate area. Here's a link to the Rio Grande National Forest website for campgrounds and links to reservations.

To get your fever up:

Just downstream from River Hill:

A few fish from nearby:

Last edited by Brad Williamson; 06-02-2010 at 02:20 AM.