+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fly quality

Default fly quality

A lot has been brought up regarding the quality of the tools and materials found in a fly tying kit. This has led me to question the quality of flies in a fly assortment. I was thinking about buying one, but now I wonder. At Orvis, if I but individual flies,every fly is 2 bucks and they appear to be of good quality and they really look nice. Should I keep buying this way(which is more expensive) or do the assortments include quality flies?

Anthony, ...

If I'm not mistaken, ... when you buy from a reputable shop,. ... the "assortment" box is supposed to be the same flies as in the bins.

Ask before you order.

2 bucks a fly for TROUT flies!!, ... Man, ... you should start tying. The easy ones don't need 100's of bucks in materials.

Look over the flies you want to use and make up a list (or ask here) of materials you'll need. For a minor investment, ... you'll have all the materials you need for a variety of flies.

'fur instance, ... if you use wooly buggers, ... the basic materials are really not expensive and you'll have enough to make HUNDREDS.

(ps.... you ask good questions)

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:ec097]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:ec097]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ec097]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:ec097]
    Christopher Chin

I do plan on tying but until I can get the tools and materials, i will continue to buy.

So 2 bucks is a lot? They arent just trout flies, all the wets, dry, streamers, nymphs of all sizes are the same price. I dont know much about flies but I am experienced with other types of fishing, and the fly looks like what I would considere(based on my knowledge) attractive to fish.

And I was thinking more the online kits like from cabela's and bass pro.

HI Anthony,

The quality of the flies in any of the major cataloger's fly assortment is good. If you go over to the FAOL sponsors page you'll find some places that will also have good quality flies at prices that are probably lower than at Orvis.

YOu may want to post asking others on the board near you what flies and sizes they would recommend for the waters near you --or do some Net research to find out. Different flies work at different times of year. If you start by buying the right flies for when you'll be fishing, you willeventually work up a collection of ones that work year-round.

I have one word for you MCGINTY . When I was a kid every assortment had a McGinty in it (a bee pattern). Obviously they work for some people, but not for me. When my son started flyfishing (25 years after I started, I gave him a mcginty) OldFrat hit it on the head, buy the flies you need for that day and eventually you will have a year round collection. As the other posters noted, a good fly shop should have better quality flies. I judge the quality by how they hold up. Many of the big box stores sell Jackson Cardinal flies, which look just as good, I just do not feel they are as durable. We have a place Sportsmen's Warehouse that sells discounted flies because they buy the seconds that the fly mfr's cannot sell to the small specialty shops. Not for all their flies, but many of them. I am not making any value judgements on how you or anyone else purchases flies, I am just relaying some info that may help you make your decisions. Good luck, and I agree with others that your posts are well thought out and I enjoy trying to help when I think I can.

An alternative source of flys is... fly tyers! Get to know one since most tyers enjoy tying and can never use all of what they tie. You'd probably also get some free materials because most tyers could never use all the material they've hoarded as well. Oh, you can't get a better introduction to fly tying than with a mentor to help ya.

Working at Orvis, it was hard for me to swallow the $2. price on the flies even though they are VERY well made. I have friends that buy at Sportsmen's and they do just fine. I know the new shop I am in now they are $1.25 and same quality as Orvis.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Sportsman's Warehouse in OKC sells there flys for 99 cents each, they aren't great flys but they'll be more that adequate.

Dan

I have purchased flies from one of our FAOL sponsors, Hills discount flies...not only outstanding flies, but their sales are fantastic!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The quality of fly assorments should be similar in most cases. You pay less because your buying more. You may also in some cases be buying seconds. They will still be great flies, but may have some real minor flaws, or could contain flies that don't sell as well.

Really though, everyone should tie their own flies, or at least give it a shot at some point.

------------------
    [url=http://flyangler.ca:30d3f]http://flyangler.ca[/url:30d3f]

+ Reply to Thread