Hi Anthony,

If you only lived here. I am a retired guy that has been tying for myself for over 50 years and greatly enjoy volunteering leading beginners classes for our town Park and Recreation Department. We usually have 5 sessions of 2 1/2 hours each and when we are done we have a new "crop" of fly tiers (plus a couple dropouts).. Many of the participants have already invested in kits and are really handicapped by trying to learn strictly following printed directions. Their kits usually contained a minimum variety of materials and many times addressed tying patterns they are not interested in. They were discouraged.

My suggestion is that you get in touch with a nearby club or Trout Unlimited group that holds a "series" of sessions. An expensive one day session with a real pro is not for you. For materials, I buy quantities that I can divide up into smaller packages for individuals to buy to give each person a much greater variety. Doing this, each guy/gal still has enough to last a couple years. Our usual price for a package is $60
Our latest awakening, a couple years back, was to purchase many sets of inexpensive but serviceable tools to be "loaned" to participants so they could practice at home. This was a real breakthrough doubly because it both allowed absorbing and correcting work by repeated efforts and because it allowed those who questioned their own seriousness to avoid over investing.
We loan out the tools for a $25 refundable deposit or will sell them at that price.

You might even consider looking for club contacts on this website. Good luck.

Ray Kunz