+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Size Thread for Guide Wraps???

Hybrid View

Default What Size Thread for Guide Wraps???

I see that there are two different sizes of thread for wrapping guides, size A and size D...Which is best?
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Blog Entries

Use size A. The bigger stuff just isn't necessary for fly rod uses, or any freshwater use, IMO. And it is bulky and doesn't look as nice as the smaller diameter stuff.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

In fact, there are more than three sizes available; not including silk. The correct size depends on the type rod you are going to wrap. Size A nylon is the proper size for a flyrod, or any one of about three different sizes if you plan to use silk. If you are wrapping a deep sea trolling rod with roller guides, you want to use Size E. Size D is typically used on casting and spinning rods, as well as surf rods, according to my mentor, a professional custom-rod builder.

Aged Sage

Glad to see you back on the board raiderhunter. My vote is for size A as well. This is from the advise of L.A. Garcia and who could argue with a great rod builder like him.

Blog Entries

I'll argue with anybody!

I like Size A for most fly rods. You can get some really cool effects with silk and no color preserver. Heavy fly rods in the 9 and 10 range can use Size B but there isn't much difference between the two.

Freshwater Spin and Cast rods will use Size A with no under wrap for medium light to ultra light rods and an underwrap of Size A for many of the medium and up rods. Salt rods will use a Size A underwrap that the guide sits on and a Size D wrap to hold the guide in place. The Size D can be tipped with A or D. I tip with the A on surf rods. I haven't had call to do any trolling or roller rods as Surf Rods are a lot more fun to do and pay much better.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Another trick with thread for the guide wraps, is to know how the epoxy will change the color of the thread, if you do not use color preserver on the thread.

I was was building my Gatti 3 wt, that had a sapphire blue color that was iridescent. I was looking for a thread color that would match this color. I settled on a light cornflower blue (not using color preserver). I determine this by wetting the thread with a little saliva (which will darken the thread to shade if color preserver is not used.

You can also make your own color preserver to apply to the finished wraps before applying the epoxy, but using egg whites, beaten with some lukewarm water. Just brush it on the wrapped thread and let it soak in a dry, before apply the epoxy. The thread is the same color as the rod blank, and the whole fly rod is the same color shade, it is hard to tell where the ferrules are. Looks like a one piece fly rod.

For heavier weight fly rods (7 weight and higher) I use "A" Thread but I do two separate wraps, one continuous wraps that I will rest the guide feet on, and then wrap a second wrap to secure the guide feet. I like using two colors schemes, for the ferules, I also use the two color scheme, with the base being solid, and the top thread being similar to the guide wraps, with a ribbing between the to tight end wraps, so they look the same as the thread wraps for the guides.~Parnelli

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I see that there are two different sizes of thread for wrapping guides, size A and size D...Which is best?
    As several have pointed out it depends on what you are wrapping. Since no one has asked yet, I will, what ARE you wrapping?

I was talking about mainly wrapping fly rods...Sorry for not clearifying
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

+ Reply to Thread