+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who makes Cabela's rods?

Default Who makes Cabela's rods?

Many times I heard that Loomis or Sage make Cabela's flyrods. And that in some cases they just change cosmetics of their own desigs for Cabela's brand. I think is very possible. However, any of you guys have real information about that?

I believe Loomis used to supply a line of blanks to Cabelas; not the same ones they put the Loomis label on, though. I've heard their PT+ rods come from domestic stock (rumored to be St. Croix); I believe a lot of their other rods are manufactured in Asia.

Regards,
    Scott

I don't know the answer. At one time - many years ago, I was told it was St. Croix but that could have been someones guess --but now I just wouldn't know.

I have a Cabela's 8 wt rod that I have had for nearly 20 years -- not the same one as it has been broken several times -- my fault not theirs -- and each time it has been replaced with a different but similar rod. It is still one of my sentimental favorites when I am using an 8 wt 9 footer. Planning on taking it to Alaska this fall.

Interested in seeing what kind of answers you get.

Not sure, but would love to kow who makes the LST line. I have a bass rod in that line that cast as good as any other I have tried. Excellent rod.

Cabela's, Bass Pro, LL Bean, etc will contract with blank/rod makers to make rods to their specifications. I read an interview with Gary Loomis in a magazine where he stated that an order with Cabelas in the early days of G. Loomis really helped his bottom line. The rods made for Cabelas were not the same as Loomis models. Today some of the rods may come from the same factories that produce name brand rods but I would presume that Cabelas, etc. have agreements to name the companies that may design and produce their rods. It wouldn't surprise me if they obtained rods from different sources also.

I have 2 Cabela's rods. One is a 7 piece travel rod, and the other is an 8'6" 5wt Traditional Taper rod (not the Traditional II). both of these rods will cast right alongside most of my more expensive rods.
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I've always assumed they sourced their rods from a variety of different manufacturers, and I know they and those manufacturers are extremely guarded with that information. That being said, I will say that I think the PT+ series is pretty easy to sleuth as a St. Croix product. SC has a couple of technologies that are patented and/or touted as unique to them, their IPC continuous taper technology and their ARC reinforcement technology. If you read the feature descriptions of those two things on St. Croix's web site (or even in the description of SC rods in Cabela's catalog), you'll see an undeniable resemblance to the verbiage describing the Cabela's PT+. Coupled with the "made in the USA" logo next to that one in the catalog (a rarity among Cabela's branded rods), it further suggests it is manufactured by SC, since they make the models with those features in their Wisconsin factory.

+ Reply to Thread