+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bite tippet to fly knot?

1. Default

Dunfly, the double figure 8 does make a non slip loop. I bet it is pretty strong too, since it is basically 2 double surgeons back to back.

I must have misinterpreted the instructions. It looked like it cinched down on the eye.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Do you want a tight knot to the eye or a loose loop for fly action? For a loop knot I've used the 'no-name' knot for monos up to 300# test & down to 10# test. It is a small knot and can be 'un-done' quickly to change flies. For tight knots up to 80# test I like an improved clinch. Above that depends on th size of the hook eye and wire.

4. Default

Do you have a link to the no name knot? The only thing I find when I google it is a knot that might be OK for attaching the bite tippet to a bimini loop in the class tippet: http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ar...No-Name-Knot/1 . It looks a bit like a yucatan twist.

That's the problem with the no-name knot- more than one knot with no name. lol My friends all call this Don's No-name Knot. Makes sense, doesn't it? I got it from a marlin magazine when I was a kid & use it for many things- even anchors. See why at end. This knot is more simple than the no-name 'rapala-knot' on you-tube. See at end.

Use a large diameter mono line to practice- 30# or better. Make an overhand knot, leaving 4" or so tag. Run tag through eye and head back to the overhand knot, which is still open. This is important- Follow the tag end back through the knot alongside the feed line to the eye, retracing it. Follow around the main line and back through the knot, pointing back at the hook eye. Next, tighten the first knot. Now pull on the hook. The tag end will slide down the line and cinch down just above the main knot. The harder you pull on the hook, the more the knot grips the simple loop and clutches it. It is 100% line strength, although on a shock tippet that's academic. The knot is very small and can be used for 300# test & up. The tag end comes out of the middle of the knot and faces the hook, so it is weedless. Practice to get the loop-size and tag end right. And I've never had one slip, even as simple as it is, on billfish and dorado. Neat thing is, you can back-pressure the knot, loosen it, and the tag end backs right back out- even with ropes (that anchor). Change flies and re-trace the line- knot resecured. You won't lose any of your bite-tipet when you change flies. It works with bite-tippets same as with mono.
    Once you have practiced the knot, make the 1st overhand knot pretty snug, but with enough room to run the tag end through and back. This makes adjusting the loop size easier, and snugging the knot easier, and the tag end lop won't accidentally slip through the knot, foiling it. Pull as hard as you want- the knot won't slip.
    This knot is not the same 'no-name' as on the You-tube (Rapala knot). He didn't retrace the tag line back through the knot and he wrapped the line around the main line once before feeding back through the knot. His knot is twice the size and can't be backed out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUCOnT00fJE Not wrong, just different.

Hope this helps- an old sketch I did for the VFB.
    No-name knot.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello DonO1, thanks for posting the 'Dons no name knot' pic, i've saved that and will learn to tie it and try it on lmb and steel.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

7. Default

Cool! It looks almost like a kreh loop with a single turn.

+ Reply to Thread