+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe

Default Canoe

Anyone have any good ideas on how to load a canoe on top of a Chev Tahoe by yourself?

Blog Entries

they sell a holder, it fits in a receiver hitch, think of a big Y you put the canoe end in it, then the top with the canoe swivels around so you can put the canoe onto the front rack. I think cabelas sells them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAqOpSizk0 (bad video)

other than that you can put extensions on your rack so it extends out over the parking area. lift the canoe onto one extension, then put the other end up. then slide the canoe onto the truck and remove the extension.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

These guys seem to have the subject covered.

http://boatloader.com/index.html
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Well, I can't speak to a Tahoe but I put mine on my van by myself frequently. I'm a cheapskate so no fancy loaders. I put the canoe next to the van and lift the front end up and set on top. I then pick up the rear and swing it around. You'll need stops on your crossbars (I use a pad zip tied down) to use as a pivot to keep the front from slipping off while you swing the back up...
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

My first boat was a 12 ft. jon boat, I cartopped it using a pair of bar type carriers with a 1 x 2 on each side between the carrier. I would lean the boat against the 1x2 lift the stern and swing it around. Boat weighted a little less than 100 lbs. that procedure worked great. I was always envious of one of those poles that mounted on a trailer hitch, but I didn't have a trailer hitch either.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks everyone!

when I load my canoe, which BTW is 90lbs and 40" wide, I pick up the front end and spin it upside down...then I use my hands and "walk" it to the middle of the canoe...at this point I simply let gravity take over and since you are in the middle it will softly be on your shoulder at that point...I actually carry mine over guard rails and down trails and across fields at times

If you have a Yakima rack you can buy a piece of plumbing pipe to fit inside. slide it in about 9" and let the rest hang out. Place one end of the canoe on the extension and lift the other end in place. Then go back to the first end and slide it over. cost is about $8.00 and works as well as the $75 extension that yakima sells.

jed

Does the canoe have a wooden Yoke and a Thwart or just one cross section?
    This is how to side load canoe to your Vehicle rack from the side;
    1st grab the Thwart-swing the canoe over your head,it will be upside down.
    2 walk the gunnels up until your hands get to the yoke or abouts,
    3 (like cordell said) then Balance the boat over your head,in a short squat,Arms are straight up and stiff ,
    Keep em there. now stand,You can do it.
    4Walk with the canoe anywhere ya want to and as far as ya want to even rest the yoke on your neck if ya get tierd.
    5 get up aside the vehicle with arms straight above your head and canoe will be balanced.
    6 lower the side that goes up last and PUSH and start into the rack.
    7 Once you get your 1st gunnel up on the rack you have it whooped; you can rest and catch your breath.
    8 grab your other gunnel with both hands and lift and push canoe onto the rack.
    9 Dont forget to tie your canoe down firmly.
    I like for my canoe to be upside down during travel.
    most racks are designed for this system.
    You can do it.
    Last edited by jeffro; 05-25-2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: more detailed explanation
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Hi,
    I finally got to try some of the advice. I did have to check out what "Thwart" and "Yoke" meant. I guess I kinda looked a little strange as I was trying to read the instructions laying on the ground with canoe on my back. I was able to carry my canoe from my barn about 250 feet to my Tahoe and load it without too much trouble. I have to admit I was sore and would like to be about 20 years younger. Jeffro's words of encouragement "you can do it" in line #3 did help. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by crappiecrazy; 06-01-2010 at 03:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread