+ Reply to Thread

Thread: saltwater reels?

Hybrid View

Default saltwater reels?

I am looking for advise on saltwater reels, I am looking to get a 10 and 12 wt reel, I am looking at Abel, and Tibor. Is there any others that I should look at? considering the investment I would like to explore all options.
    Thanks,
    -Jeff

2. Default

look at ross and bauer they both market good tough reels. and although orvis gets little love in somer quarters they do make some sweet reels.
    jack

hard to go wrong with an Abel or Tibor.

If you want a very tough saltwater reel with quality similar to Abel, Tibor, and several other high end reels, look at the TFO Terry Hayden reels. Boring gray color but rock solid built like a tank with a very hard type III anodizing (better than Abel or Tibor and many others) for less than $450. They Terry Hayden II would be a good 10 or 12 wt reel. The III is good for 12wt and heavier. These are a version of Terry Hayden's Australian made reels at at lower cost. I have several Abel reels. I also have A TFO Terry Hayden III which is fantastic.

Other high end reels to consider would be Mako (Jack Charleton's latest), Hatch, Islander, Henschel , Wellstone, Nautilus, Gilmore.

More moderately priced reels would include Ross, TFO LA, Redington CDL , Galvan, Sea Level Extreme, Lamson, just to name a few.

Thanks for the help. I will certainly look up some of those. the Nautilus looks pretty nice and light.
    -Jeff

A CHFF member who is a guide has been on the tarpon consistently for about a month & is still using the Nautilus reels he got for last years tarpon season without any problems. At the flyfishing clubs meeting he took a Boga Grip & tightened the drag to a pull of 3 lbs from about 10 feet away from the rod tip to demonstrate how to fight a hooked fish. He actually started sliding across the floor with his down & dirty moves fighting with the rod butt & reel, which seemed to be about 25-30 lbs of pull at the reel; & still raves at how great the reel performs on the water with a fish on.

Nautilus! Are fantastic in my experience. The design is amazing.
    www.nautilusreels.com

+ Reply to Thread