+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Spill

Angry Oil Spill

The Exxon every four days??? This sucks. Wondering what those from the area think??

I am sure that those in the areas where this slick washes up will be more than angry.

But the true facts are unclear. The reported spill substantiated by BP is around 200,000 gallons/day. Remember 200,000 gallons is about the size of 3 big swimming pools. Also know that 500,000 gallons a day leak into the gulf from natural sites. Another half million gallons leak out of boats, tankers, and come into the gulf from land runoff. There are reported rumors of the leak being bigger. There are also reported rumors of some big underwater oil plume (I thought oil is lighter than water and it floats).
    And on that same topic
    http://envirowonk.com/content/view/68/1/

Not that this leak isn't a problem and needs to be fixed. The exact cause remains unresolved and this is a problem. If you don't know why, you can't fix it.

And if you quit drilling for oil, put away those fancy fishing boats because you can't aford to feed them or drive your truck down to the dock to get in them. Prepare to like the dark and the cold and get ready to be a second class nation. Remember, the reason we drill for oil is so that we can drive stuff. And everyone who turns a key shares in the blame. Maybe some a little less than others but guilty none-the-less.

But there is another way. See

http://www.hatofmichigan.org/Environment.html

for some food for thought.

Godspeed,

Bob

--------------
    Bob Bolton
    www.HATofMichigan.org
    Last edited by Bobinmich; 05-17-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Very well said, Bob. Comparing this spill to that of the Exxon Valdez, other than in total quantity spilled, is comparing apples to oranges. As Bob noted, natural oil seeps have existed, at least along the Texas Gulf Coast, for ages. Tar balls are, and have been, a given on our beaches since long before European colonization. As a consequence of this seepage, there are, or so I was taught as a graduate student 50 years ago, certain bacteria that have evolved over time that feed on (petroleophilic) such seepage and break it down into harmless components. These bacteria are apparently present in small numbers in the Gulf waters and the bays and marshes along our coast at all times, and 'spring into action' (bloom) when spills occur; starting degradation almost immediately. I have no knowledge of either the presence or absence of similar seeps occurring off the Alaskan coast for a similar period time and resulting in tar balls on the beaches affected by the 'Valdez' spill to enable the development of petroleophilic bacteria in that region of the world. However, the presence of oil in and on their beaches some 20 years after the spill tends to indicate that such bacteria do not exist there.

Another major consideration is the Q-10 principle; which, simply stated, says that for every 10 degree Celsius (18 deg. F) increase in temperature, the rate of a chemical reaction doubles. Given the profoundly different temperature regimes that prevail in Alaska vs those that prevail along the Gulf Coast, both on land and in the waters, any natural degradation would, and will, occur at a much faster rate than has occurred in the 'Valdez' case. Simply put, we have at least a 10 month long 'growing season' on the Gulf coast vs a barely 2 month long 'growing season' in Alaska for such organisms to 'do their thing'.

I dare say that not a single person directly involved with this spill is cognizant of the amount of crude oil, and some of its distillates, that were "spilled" in northern Guilf coastal waters by U.S. tankers that were torpedoed and sunk just off the U.S. Gulf coast, if they are at all aware of the fact that such sinkings actually occurred. As my graduate advisor once testified in Court in New Orleans during a case involving a spill;" If these natural phenomena did not occur, there would be natives living in the Delta area today that would be walking around in oil about this deep.", at which time he stood up and moved his hand back and forth at his hip level. It is worth noting that absolutely NO effort was made to clean up these spills. The requisite men and materials were devoted to the war effort.

YES! the environment is going to be adversely affected, and organisms, such as birds, sea turtles, and possibly others, will likely die. However, given the nature of the differences between the Alaskan environment and that of the Gulf Coast, I personally doubt that the damage will even come close to that experienced in Alaska. Moreover, two different types of crude are involved in such a comparison. The effects of Red Tide can be just as devastating, if not moreso, than such an oil spill, and such a phenomenon is a natural one.

FWIW; I speak as both a resident if the Texas Gulf Coast for over 40 years, and as a retired marine biologist, and someone who would like to add a little reason to the matter ( as word the combination "common sense" has become the ultimate oxymoron, I hesitate to use them together).

Cheers!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-17-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Elaboration

Isn't this wee bit political in nature for this forum?
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

<HYJACK ... momentarily!! What do I see????? It's the BBW!!!!! Hooray!!!! Good to see you here!!!
    OK ... back to topic now!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Isn't this wee bit political in nature for this forum?

[/sarcasm] Why, because we are all to blame for BP's lack of foresight? Can't we make this old argument about everything that happens anywhere? [/end sarcasm]
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

All I wanted to add was some food for thought! There are some good explanations about Environmental impact and that was what I'm most curious about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/us/16oil.html
    Last edited by luckie88; 05-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    <HYJACK ... momentarily!! What do I see????? It's the BBW!!!!! Hooray!!!! Good to see you here!!!
    OK ... back to topic now!>
    Why Betty, you little hyjacker you. No wonder you're the official Club Sweetheart of the NBOF.
    BTW, What Betty said about seeing BBW posting.

Ed

P.S. My sister lives on the MS Gulf Coast and is not at all happy about the oil spill.

FWIW; I speak as both a resident if the Texas Gulf Coast for over 40 years, and as a retired marine biologist, and someone who would like to add a little reason to the matter ( as word the combination "common sense" has become the ultimate oxymoron, I hesitate to use them together).
    Mr. Aged Sage,

Excellent reasoning Sir, may your science prevail....

Sincerely

Steve Molcsan and Son
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 05-18-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Sorry to say but have you all have you all not seen the news and pics from space lately??? This is only getting worse, Thanks BP.

+ Reply to Thread