Thread: Lower Deschutes

Threaded View

Smile Lower Deschutes

Well, fished from Mecca down to the house the last two day and all I got to say is here piggy piggy. The adult bows aren't keyed in on the adult stone/salmon flies, but the smolt are, but it should only be a few days now before the big boys start looking up for them. Sorry for no pics but my better half went back to Ohio for her sister's funeral. Caught almost thirty fish in two days and one was a later run Steelhead (fin clipped) don't know why I didn't bonk it but using 5x and a 4wt gave him some credit to travel onward. Plus I got to see my backing three times!!!

One positive note is that the old Riffle fly shop/campground was taken over by Fly and Field and it's worth having nice grass to camp on than hard packed dirt with no trees around at the Mecca Campground. The owners are very friendly and full of knowledge. Though a little off the river I think they will be able to have campfires year round and the grass+++ This is in the focus/process of a first-class place to be during the fishing season on the Warm Springs boundary. They just opened two weeks ago.

All I got to say is keep hittin' it and it will happen. They're pulling water off the top of the reservoir and all I did was wet wade with a water temp around 50 and air temp in the mid 70's. Just keep an eye out for the thunderstorms which got me off the water earlier than usual today. Don't want to get caught in that stuff.

Cheers
    -Jake
    Last edited by luckie88; 05-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.