Most big fish anglers that I know fish direct drive reels that cost the same or more than A/R models.

I have been on several long range tuna trips out of San Diego and do not ever recall seeing anyone with an A/R reel. Most anglers that I know in the bluewater and tarpon games prefer direct drive reels.

The primary reason that these anglers prefer Direct Drive (DD) is because with a DD reel you are absolutely certain that when you crank the reel, you are gaining line on the fish. For many species, one of the keys to landing a big fish quickly, along with steady pressure is to keep its head moving towards you. With an A/R reel with a drag set a bit too light, the fish may be able to get its head down and the angler loses ground. You can beat big fish with A/R reels - anglers have been doing just that for decades - but you have to make sure you have sufficient drag pressure. Skilled anglers can use either effectively.

Those that prefer A/R reels tend to be those that really want to protect their fingers from a whirling handle. For such an angler an A/R reels may be desireable for smaller fish that run fast like bonefish.

There are a number of dual mode reels out there that give the angler the best of both worlds; but these are really expensive.

I don't think cost is an issue. Billy Pates were the same price I think for DD or A/R version. If someone is going to spend about $750 on an Able Super 12, an extra $100 for the A/R version is probably not an issue.

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 27 February 2006).]