+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Hooks Source

Hybrid View

Default Bulk Hooks Source

One or two more rods and a couple lines and I'll finally be happy in that department, so in the next year or so most of my fly fishing budget will shift towards tying I think. In preparation for the potential increase in funds assuming everything goes well I had an idea but I need some guidance. I'm coming up empty looking for sources to buy some hooks by the 1000. I've decided I'm going to attempt to get a little more disciplined with my tying until I get a decent stock of the flies I want to have on hand. 1000 packs give me enough to tie 10 each of 10 patterns in 10 different colors. Most will probably get used for 20+ patterns and 5 or fewer colors, or 20 or 30 of a go to pattern/color but you get the idea.

I've got enough random hooks around to keep me fishing, these will just be to stock up during the winter and I figure by the time I get through 1000 hooks in one size I'll have enough money saved up to move on to the next size so I don't plan on more than one or two thousand at once, just figured I'd be able to save a few bucks buying in bigger quantities than the normal 20/50/100 packs.

For some of the standard freshwater hooks I've seen it looks like 1000 hooks can be had for less than $70 before shipping, but
    I haven't found anyone that has something like the mustad 3407 or 34007 in 4/0 through 8 for sale in those quantities. Does anyone have a source for these or something comparable in bulk or really any bulk sources for hooks in general since I've just started looking?

Thanks in advance,
    joe cool

Do you have a local fly shop that will work with you? Some shops may work with you on bulk orders.

Check out captainhook.com

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish03 View Post
    Check out captainhook.com
    I was thinking of that source too, here's a more direct link: http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com...iew=1&offset=1

When you get to these quanities you have to do phone calls since internet prices won't really represent the prices very well. You also have to determine what kind of hook you want. If you will only accept TMC or Mustad Signatures etc you have to pay more for that quality. Check out Ebay, $70 / 1000 sounds high since I can approach those prices buying by the 100 piece lot.

Other places to try would be our sponsors like Hook and Hackle or some of the larger retailers like J Stockard or Leland Bob Marriotts, but again the leg work is what it's going to take. Good luck and let us know what you found out.

Rick

Bass_Bug Guest

If you going to use a FAOL Sponsor, Mustad is a Gold-Level Sponsor of FAOL, and also FAOL Member Dr. Fish is the North American Sales Manager for Mustad. I'd start with him.

What you might want to do is get vendor license and try to buy wholesale.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I also like captainhook.com and have had very satisfactory service. In addition, I've recently done a major hook stock up on Classic Mustad hooks at Hook and Hackle's half price sale. I got a lot of hooks for a very reasonable price. 8T

i can't open captainhook.com. getting 404 page not found. y'all have a secret to get there?
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Even at Hook and Hackles close out prices on Mustads classics, unless you are getting a different price than they list online, theres no way you're getting near $70ish per 1000 buying 100 packs. I'm not locked into a certain brand, I just know the Mustad models I use so they are easiest to search for. A lot of the online vendors I tried pricing didn't even have 10 1000 packs or 20 50 packs of some of the hooks in stock when I was checking around last night. Maybe on ebay, haven't really ever got into that. I guess I'll have to make some phonecalls and send some emails and see what I can find. Thanks for all the suggestions so far though, I appreciate it.

Captainhooks is looking like the best thing I've seen so far.

Here is another good source. Most have been pleased with them. They are not Tiemco, even though they use Tiemco's numbering system.
    http://www.allenflyfishing.com/hooks.html

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread