+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best reasonably priced fly lines?

Default Best reasonably priced fly lines?

Folks,

As I checked the gear this spring getting the bigger bass rods ready, I noticed a #7 and a #8 are both cracked and badly worn. This is in addition to a #4 line that I'd already intended to replace as I had to cut the first 10 feet off the head it was so badly worn.

Now these weren't chep lines, the #4 and #8 were SA Ultra4s and the #7 was a 555.

So I went online to you-know-where and priced out replacements. Huuhhhh wanah? Just short of $200 with shipping!!!! What the freak?

That's just crazy! I must be out of touch, but $60 for a fly line? I can't do it. As Mrs. Grouse says, I may be cheap, but I make up for it by being really thrifty.

What are my choices for good value fly lines?

I cannot for a minute believe that there aren't perfectly good WF lines out there for around $40 or less. There's absolutely no way a plastic made-in-China-like-everything-else fly line should cost $60 and $200 for fly lines in one year is just crazytalk.

Grouse

Hook & Hackle's "Hi-Floater" lines. Around $30 and dang fine lines.
    Mark 1:17

I've used Aquanova lines before and was pleasantly surprised. They are sold by Global Dorber and sell for $14.40 per line. Plus shipping I would imagine. Global Dorber is a sponsor here.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

O.K. They are NOT cheap, but Airflo lines do not crack. They will however cost a bit more than $40.
    I have tried cheaper lines and I have to say I am yet to try one that would last more than one season without cracking. The Hook and Hackle lines sound promising, has anyone had a high floater for more than a season or two?
    All the best.
    Mike.

Lets look at it this way...buy the best you can afford and it will last. Lines aren't the place to cut corners. Cheap lines will give you cheap casting experiences.
    With that said,

No one needs to spend too much for lines that can be purchased with some thought behind it. Take a look at Cabelas Prestege and Prestege plus.
    Prestege plus is actually Scientific Angler but sells for $39.99 versus $65. for the SA.
    Prestege is Cortland and it goes for $30.00
    I don't measure my lines by years but by the number of hours of usage on the water.
    I myself buy the prestege plus and I get 200 hours plus from the line. Anything past 200 hours on a fly line is a gift from the trout gods. Anything less than that is cheap line,no matter what you paid for it.

Randy

I like the Cabelas prestige lines and are around $25 Had one 4 years before I started to see minor cracks... and still floats like it should.

I really like the Cortland 444 classic peach lines, but their prices have gone up quite a bit in recent years. The good news is that you can still get them on e-Bay for under $40 delivered to your door.

Sage fly lines are made by RIO. If you look around, you can find some closeout Sage Performance Taper II fly lines for $29.95 instead of $65. That'd be what I'd do first for budget fly lines. I had one on my 8wt for several years and it performed just fine.

Rio Main Stream is decent. $35. Cabela's has the 4wt on sale for $20.
    http://tinyurl.com/26bqatk

Blog Entries

Check out the Hook & Hackle brand of fly line. They are sponsors of FAOL.
    http://www.hookhack.com/flylines.html

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread