+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line to Leader?

Hybrid View

Default Line to Leader?

So what, in your humble opinions, is the best knot to use for joining the leader to the line? Why?

Loops.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Normand Guest

everybody will be biased to what works for them, hence there will none that is the "best". "best" is what YOU think it is and what works for YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    everybody will be biased to what works for them, hence there will none that is the "best". "best" is what YOU think it is and what works for YOU
    all true...I use NAIL KNOT for everything..I cut the loops of the line...to me it is too bulky to get the knots loops thru the guides when casting...I usually dont have the luxury of false casting and my leaders are sometimes twice the rod length...loops are easier faster to change leaders but I have NEVER changed a leader out while fishing so why set it up that way? to be more exact I have never changed a butt section once it is nail knotted to the line... if you are "dialed in" you dont need to change the leader...for somebody just starting it wont matter either way

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    all true...I use NAIL KNOT for everything..I cut the loops of the line...to me it is too bulky to get the knots loops thru the guides when casting...I usually dont have the luxury of false casting and my leaders are sometimes twice the rod length...loops are easier faster to change leaders but I have NEVER changed a leader out while fishing so why set it up that way? to be more exact I have never changed a butt section once it is nail knotted to the line... if you are "dialed in" you dont need to change the leader...for somebody just starting it wont matter either way
    Thanks for the tip. I've never really used the nail knot, but will definitely give it a look.

Whipped loop in the end of the flyline to attach to leader butt section with a surgeons loop. The next tapered section or 2 with double surgeons knot(s) & then another surgeons knot loop in the end to attach a double bimini tippet, if needed, then depending on the fish; a shock or bite tippet either with a loop, double surgeons or for tarpon a huffnagle. Most leaders are 9', even if they're pre-made or purchased manufactured tapered, but if you're only changing the bite tippet a double surgeons knot loop. Loops are easier to thread thru larger saltwater guides & the loss of the end of the tapered leader is eliminated. Always seemed easier to have at least 9' of flyline plus the leader outside of the rod tip to start casting to fast moving fish.

+ Reply to Thread