+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on original Battenkill Reels

Default Opinions on original Battenkill Reels

Well my b-day has come and passed so Ive come into some $$$$$ from family and friends. Its kind of funny they dont even dare send gifts anymore they send cash so I can pick my own gifts out. "I sure do love flyfishing". Anyways Ive been looking at reels for a 3 wt and am leaning towards one of the original Battenkill Reels from Orvis. So,,,,, opinions please. Ive been comparing Battenkills, Drakes(Cabelas), Okuma, LL Bean any others that are right around $100 and bullet proof please feel free to mention.

Seege

I have had the Battenkill 3/4, 7/8, and 8/9 disk drag reels for about 10 years now. The two larger ones have seen extensive saltwater service in addition to freshwater. The 3/4 model has seen a lot of freshwater action and I have caught many nice trout on it. All three reels have performed flawlessly for me over that time. I'm about to get another 3/4 model.

Simply put, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better reel at that price.

battenkill bar steel appears to be a damn nice, small and lightweight reel for right around the price point (a little more, throw in your own money to make up the difference) you listed.

I've got a battenkill large arbor that I really like, though I doubt a la reel is the ticket on a 3wt. I'd go as small and light as I could.

if you can find a ross colorado 0, I'd jump on that. they've been discontinued, but I read here that cabelas had them for about $79. that's a great price for a great reel.

myself, I'd steer clear of those others you mentioned. lotsa people think a reel does nothing more than hold line, but I like quality machining and appearance. then again I'm a bit of a tackle snob ;]

mgj

I've had a 5/6 for over 10 years and just bought a 3/4 a couple months ago. Never had any trouble with them--I really like them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another either.

They have a great drag range and are light enough for their size.

Check your email.

anybody have any experience with the new battenkill mid arbor?

I really like my 3/4 disk drag. It sees a lot of use in fresh water. Smooth drag but often times not a big issue for the lighter line weights and fishing situations where I'm using a 3/4 (i.e smaller streams and small fish).

Battenkill would be my suggestion.

I have a 3/4 click/pawl that i use on various light rods and love it. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it looks as good as the day i bought it. I also have a Ross Colorado 0 that I love just as much. Both are great reels.

Lou

I have four of the originals. Never a problem.

Just got a mid arbor Battenkill for a 6wt yesterday. Haven't tried it out but it is a sweet looking reel.
    bd

+ Reply to Thread