+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on original Battenkill Reels

i have the battenkill disc 3/4 on my 8' 3 wt, and absolutely love it. its my go to setup and has been for the past 3 years. i even have an extra spool for my TT line. an unbeatable and extremely reliable reel for the price.

I never owned on Orvis reel, but I also highly recommend the Teton Tioga. I avoid the Okuma, I've had mine fail on me several times.

[This message has been edited by Bill Blake (edited 05 March 2005).]

I too would like to find a Battenkill Click and Pawl. It is a basic function reel with unequaled reliability. And yes, I do believe that Orvis in their board room follies, has decided to discontinue that model. Too bad.
    It was a dandy.

LoTech I too believe Orvis has discontinued click pawl reels in both the CFO and B'Kill series, at least I cant find them on their web site.
    Probably cuz of lack of sales. The last one I bought at local fly shop they had to order it for me and offered to sell me a disc for the same price. The manager told me they didnt sell enough clickers to justify stocking them. What a shame. I have 2 CFO III clickers and a spare spool and 2 B'Kill 3/4's clickers with a spare spool. Hopefully they'll last me.

I own 2 8/9 original Battenkill reels that have served me well for many years with one exception. The line guard snapped off one after dropping the reel. Since the body seems to be cast it is more brittle than a reel cut from bar stock.

All reels are vulnerable when I am clumsy! I keep the broken reel for parts. My other Battenkill reel has worked for more than 10 years without needing any repair. I replaced the broken one with a barstock but I still use the old one. It works great.

+ Reply to Thread