+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Crappie Flies?

Default Favorite Crappie Flies?

Hi all,

What are your favorite crappie flies, what is the pattern, and what is the size?

The one I have had the most success with is the olive and orange, which amounts to a no hackle woolly bugger:

Olive and Orange Pattern

Hook: #10 or #12 Mustad 9672 (or other 3X nymph/streamer hook)
    Thread: Olive
    Tail: Orange Rabbit
    Body: Olive chenille
    Weight: Small bead (copper or gold)

This year I hope to be fishing other streamers a lot more than I have in the past such as the marabou miss, hot flash minnow, and classic bucktail streamers. I haven't fished a chartreuse steamer much, and that is a color I hope to fish more, that and hope to be trying olive streamers at least some.

Regards,

Gandolf

White and Yellowboa yarn flies work well. Goldie Jr also. I ut a dozen foies in two articles inthe archives with crappie flies. "Ricks favorite crappie flies"

Rick

While I too am discovering the joys of the boa fly, my favorites still have to be small clousers and Al Campbell's crappie candy.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Hi Rick,

I have read your list of Rick's favorite crappie flies many times, and have used it and my experience years ago using a spinning rod, to guide my own tying for crappies. Your list is much appreciated, and a good guide.

I haven't gotten a chance to fish for crappies much with a fly rod, but hope to fix that. Currently Boa Yarn streamers, among others, are topping my list for tying, and there is a need to work on some goldies as well.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Hi Rick,

I have read your list of Rick's favorite crappie flies many times, and have used it and my experience years ago using a spinning rod, to guide my own tying for crappies. Your list is much appreciated, and a good guide.

I haven't gotten a chance to fish for crappies much with a fly rod, but hope to fix that. Currently Boa Yarn streamers, among others, are topping my list for tying, and there is a need to work on some goldies as well.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

I've caught probably 90% or more of my crappie on three flies. A small chartreuse over white bead chain clouser in size 8 or 6, an olive over white deceiver in 4 or 6, and a beadchain eyed nymph pattern I tie with a spikey squirrel dubbed body, a pheasant tail tail/back/wing case, and a soft hackle collar behind the eyes tied mainly on size 8 and 10 long shank hooks. Upsize it to a size 6 hook and its a good one cruising carp too.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My favorites:

1. Sz. 12 OD Green over White Clouser
    2. Sz. 12 Electric Chicken Clouser
    3. Crappie Candy
    4. Small Black-Nosed Dace
    5. small Hot-Glue Minnow

#8 Yellow Boa Yarn Leech gets my #1 vote (tied on a 3x or 4x long streamer hook). Crappie Candy is also catches plenty, and Joe Cornwall's Crappie Killer.

On occasion I will catch them on topwater flies, from bluegill-sized Gurglers, to #8-#10 mayfly paradun, to bass-sized foam poppers.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The recommendations you've gotten are good. What you might notice is that most of them are minnow-ish. Shiners are the prime crappie bait and any fly in the right size that might be a shiner will interest crappies.

Pink-over-white Clouser minnows in a size 6
    Slumpbusters in a size 8, orange is my favorite
    Bead chain hares ear soft hackles, size 8
    Furled tail leeches, size 12

And a few simple little flies some friends and I have come up with/modified. The easier the better!

+ Reply to Thread