+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ??? for REE

Hybrid View

Default ??? for REE

Love the little spiders (Baillie's) but have question on the silk. What wax do you use and how does it change the silk color?? I got the Veniard's tyers wax, but all it does on the silk is look waxy. What am I doing wrong? Yes, I know I can use black thread or olive thread, but silk is what it's traditionally supposed to be. Help??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, first gills and now spiders. What are we all to think? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Best of the best dear lady.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Nooooooooo! Spiders are TROUTS flies! You know, Clyde style ... North Country ... English ... this is a real ghillie fly!

<gawd those bluegills were fun!!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Bluegills love spiders. Hand a soft hackle off the back of your rubber leg spider. You don't need the expensive silk bodies either.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Betty,

To get the brown (should be a chocolate {yummmm} color to start with) silk to turn almost black you should be using something like a cobblers wax or even a Keane wax. I have a bit extra of each (imagine that) that I would be happy to send your way if you PM your snail mail addy.

The same waxes used on primrose yellow silk (for the red and dun spiders) will turn the silk a nice translucent olive with the Keane Wax and a very nice olive grey with the Cobbler's wax (also the correct color for a Greenwell's Spider and Greenwell's Glory). Once you start to apply the wax to the thread don't stop part way as the silk will break when you restart. This stuff is sticky.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Ron didn't tell you this but you are headed down a slippery slope when it comes to waxes. Some will tell you not worry about waxing silk but it opens up a whole new world for you. I have ten different waxes on my desk and I am always looking for more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Nooooooooo! Spiders are TROUTS flies! You know, Clyde style ... North Country ... English ... this is a real ghillie fly!

<gawd those bluegills were fun!!>

Silk and spiders and 'gills... oh my!

Ed

+ Reply to Thread