+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dharma of the Drift

Cold Guest

Default Dharma of the Drift

http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com/

Can't believe I never thought to do this, but here's a link to where my fishing reports will go this year. Just posted an entry a few days ago about a recent outing, with pics!

Cold Guest

Not really so much a fishing report, but a new tie (for me): The Arthur Hoyt Wet

Cold,

Nice fly. I envy you your copy of Bergman's book. I have to drive across the Cascade mountains to look through my buddy Z's copy. One trick I picked up from the salmon fly tiers is to get my thread really flat, then wax it well before making the head on a fly. With the wax, every wrap really stays exactly where you put it. Just thought I'd pass that on in case you didn't know about it.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Cold Guest

REE,

First of all, thanks for the kind words. As far as Bergman's book, you can easily order it online or do like I did and request that your local Borders, Barnes & Noble, or whatever equivalent is nearby get a copy for you. I had mine 5-7 days later. Then again, I could imagine that a drive through the Cascades may not be such a terrible thing to have to go through.

For my heads, Once I finish the body, I typically whip finish and clip the UTC 70 I prefer and then switch to a fine black bonded thread like Uni 8/0 or Sheer 14/0. I like the bonded single strand for binding down slip wings and the black makes a nice dark surface before I even hit it with the black SH. I will have to try the wax, though. If it works for me, I may not have to switch threads halfway through my tying anymore!

Also: New post up with last night's creations: The Victoria and Victoria Green!

Cold Guest

New Post hot off the press!

Classic Wet Flies, Part 3: the Esmeralda, Irish Turkey, and more.

Thumbs up Cold ...

... I don't tie or fish that style of fly ( except a couple that Jeff Hamm sent to me a couple years ago ), but I surely do enjoy looking through your site, the pics, and recipes. Thanks.

John
    The fish are always right.

Cold.... I see your from the "Burgh" eh.... I'm a lifetime resident of the area and after reading your posts on "Fly Anglers OnLine" and visiting your web site ( which I did enjoy viewing) I thought I'd drop you a note to offer my kudos on your artistic skills like : fly tying , writing and photography..... I'd love to pick your SW PA experienced fly fishing brain and hope my years might offer you a tidbit or two.. Feel free to email me if you see fit ....DRFAS2@aol.com

Frank

Cold Guest

Thanks, NJTroutbum, you have quite the blog going yourself. If I get to a fly shop tonight, I may have to tie up some of your LTDs for this weekend.

JohnScott, thanks for taking the time to check it out. DotD is my second crack at a fly fishing blog, and while there are slow points, this time around, I think it's going better. Pics are one thing I'm trying to include more of, as well as an increased focus on tying as opposed to a series of stream reports. I'm glad you are enjoying the content thus far.

drfas, actually, you're closer to the city than I am, but Pittsburgh is a common reference point, identifiable by anyone in the country with the slightest knowledge of our geography. It's a shame what happened to Turtle Creek a few years back...is it worth fishing again yet? I'd be happy to trade some knowledge and wisdom with you. If you prefer email, I can be contacted at dharmaofthedrift@gmail.com . Thanks for chiming in.

Cold.....excellent wet fly patterns. You have my interest for sure. Thanks much for visiting the site. I added your site to my "places of interest" page.

+ Reply to Thread