+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mohair

Default mohair

I have started to tie with mohair and I can't seem to get it to be hairy. I wrap it like chenille after combing it out and then when I am done I comb it again with a toothbrush and it just doesn't get hairy like I like it to be what am I doing wrong?

HarleyBob,

What keeps the mohair from sticking out and being 'hairy' is traping the fibers under the successive wraps.

You can try a couple of things.

First, as you wrap, stroke the fibers back towards the hook bend with your fingers after each wrap (asssuming you are wrapping FORWARD from the bend to the hook eye). This will keep more fibers from being 'trapped' under the wraps.

Aftr wrapping, instead of a tooth brush, try stroking the fly with the hook side of some velcro. This will 'grab' the fibers and 'pull' them from under the wraps. Do this from front to back. You can also pick the fibers loose with a dubbing needle or bodkin, but that takes quite a bit of time.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

harleybob, You might want to try a dubbing loop spinner.Run the mohair down the side of the single thread, then bring the second thread over the beginning of the hook where you start the dubbing, twist to tighten the mohair and brush out with a tooth brush to get the buggy effect desired.Wrap to the hook eye and tie off. Hope this was some help.

------------------
    Wes.
    Wes.

I think you will be more satisfied with your results if you use a dubbing loop and loose mohair rather than mohair already in a yarn form. For mohair that you want to use that comes in yarn form, like "candian brown" for example, take the threads strands out of it and use it in loose form. Experiment with twisting the loop to a tension giving the effect you want. This can be accentuated with a dubbing needle and/or velcro brush.

wow what a lot of great advice. I am using candian brown mohair. I will try it later tonight when I have a little more time. I want to thank evryone here for all the advise and help given. What a wonderful site I am so glad I found it.

MO hair? My Own hair?

All you have to do is use a dubbing teaser. If you get some of the hair out, the rest will come out after a few casts. Scott

harleybob87, I use the Canadian Brown Seal (CBS) all the time. It comes on a string (sometimes I am lucky and find with out string), but I pull it off the string, once you have a good clump keep pulling the bunch horizontally (that gets it all going in one direction) sometimes I cut this clump in half depending on how long it is. Then as mentioned, make a spars dubbing loop and wrap forward making sure not to overlap. I use the velcro also to tease out. Here is one I tie with a mylar rib.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Harley Bob,

I use a piece of velcro(or hook and loop)it works great. I dont know if anyone else has mentioned that I just read your post. Im sure you will figure out which side of the velcro to use.

Seege

+ Reply to Thread