+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear Cure Goo

Hybrid View

Default Clear Cure Goo

Are you guys familiar with Clear Cure Goo? An epoxy alternative that you cure in 3-5 seconds with a UV light? Sounds pretty interesting, I ordered some today.
    Here's their website:
    http://clearcuregoo.com/

And I actually ran across them first on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clear-...o/335281047156

There are some good videos about using the product(s) on their website and Facebook. Seems worth checking out.

Does anybody here already use this stuff, and can share their experiences/patterns?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've used CCG for a bit now and love it. Very easy to work with, especially since you have much greater control over amount and location on your fly. It's also nice not to have to mix anything, and best of all, it's ready to use in seconds.

You may find that it is completely cured but still slightly tacky. A light coat of head cement solves that problem.

Thanks MNFisher! It does dry (and stay) clear?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by MNFisher View Post
    I've used CCG for a bit now and love it. Very easy to work with, especially since you have much greater control over amount and location on your fly. It's also nice not to have to mix anything, and best of all, it's ready to use in seconds.

You may find that it is completely cured but still slightly tacky. A light coat of head cement solves that problem.
    In one of the videos he give a tip....rub a little alcohol on...

He also says the tacky allows for adding more and it bonds completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    He also says the tacky allows for adding more and it bonds completely.
    Ducksterman makes a great point. Another advantage of CCG is being able to seamlessly build-up or fine tune a head, for example, after the first application. I seem to be much more precise in appling CCG than epoxy. Fill in where desired, click the light on it and in 3 seconds you're done. After flashing with the light, it seems to me to be just as hard as epoxy would be after drying. The CCG may be slightly tacky or sticky even after it is completely cured and hard as a rock. I haven't found that to be any problem - I've fished with them like that without issue. It's a simple matter though, to quickly coat the CCG (after flashing it with the light) with Hard as Hull or Sally Hansens. Epoxy performance without the fuss - or time.

I especially like it for saltwater flies with epoxy heads (or bodies) and epoxy backs like a copper john.

I have some that I tied almost a year ago now that are still as clear as the day I tied them. (Can't say that for many of my epoxy flies)

I met with the creator of Tuffleye (the main competitor to CCG) and they are about to release a new pen sized light that is 3x as bright as the original. It's supposed to sell for about $30.
    I really like Tuffleye and CCG may work the same, but they say you have to use their light. Not sure that's true since I have a dentist's light that is pretty generic and it cures about anything of that nature.
    Here's a hint: if you are putting one of these products on fibers, make sure you get some IN the fibers first and harden them before you put some around the fibers. Trapping air in the fibers will make the fly more bouyant than expected.

+ Reply to Thread