+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is fly fishing and why has it ruined my life?

Default So what is fly fishing and why has it ruined my life?

The ruined my life part is tongue in cheek but I do take the definition of fly fishing seriously.
    Obviously, one has to use a fly rod but does that alone define fly fishing? I don't think so!
    So what does,,, least important,,,,, who cares?
    nam

Thinking it over, ruined isn't to far off. Fly fishing has corrupted my concept of fishing in general. I don't disdain other types of fishing.....I just find them irrelevant.
    nam

Some would say it's the fly rather than the rod that makes it flyfishing. Legal definitions seem to fall into this catagory as a spinning rod rigged with a float and a fly is legal in many fly-only waters. I don't worry as much about "what flyfishing is" as much as I do "what do I love about it." For me it requires a deeper understanding of the fish and its environment, thus a deeper and richer fishing experience. I could probably bring that to spinfishing if I tried hard enough, but it's such an integral element of flyfishing.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Nam,

Everyone seems to know what it is, but no one agrees about it.

I consider fly fishing whatever any fly fisherman decides it is.

This has come up before, though, and we'll get folks who choose to let the government decide such things for them posting the various definitions from odd jurisdictions across the land as if that had any more basis than any other definition (we all know the politicoes who write such laws HAVE to be correct, right. After all, they won an election!).

It will at least be fun to read and laugh about.

Buddy

Well at least I caught one.
    A very good/diplomatic response Blue, but legal def doesn't cover it nor does a deeper understanding of fish/environment.
    If I really wanted to catch a carp on a fly rod for example, I'd use a worm or canned corn. Is that fly fishing?
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Nam,

I consider fly fishing whatever any fly fisherman decides it is.

Buddy
    Come on Buddy!
    nam

Looks to me like you've already got an answer in your head, so why ask the question only to belittle the responses you get. My answer was not intended to be diplomatic or nice. It was meant to be my answer to a vague, apparently loaded question and that's all. My point was that equipment alone doesn't make it flyfishing. For me there are other requirements.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

To some, it's using dry flies cast to rising trout
    To some it includes using nymphs
    To some it's fishign for bluegill, bass and crappie with a fly rod and poppers or streamers
    To some it's fishing in salt water

On some waters it's what the law considers fly fishing.

One thing I think we can all agree on is those of us who practice fly fishing in all of its various forms have a deep love for the sport and an appreciation for the fish we're going after and a love for the water in which they live.

Rather than bicker about what is and what isn't fly fishing, we really should focus on what we agree upon and why we love to fly fish (even if my fly fishing is different than yours).

I love to fly fish because it's slower paced and more relaxed than just about any other type of fishing I do. I love the sound of the fly line going through the air and the deep bend in the fly rod even a medium size fish can produce.

Why has it ruined my life - well, I can't say that it has. It's taken over my fishing and I probably use the long rod 20 times for every 1 time I revert back to my spinning gear. I've spent a lot of money on fly fishing but I believe it's still less expensive overall than golf.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill222 View Post
    Looks to me like you've already got an answer in your head, so why ask the question only to belittle the responses you get. My answer was not intended to be diplomatic or nice. It was meant to be my answer to a vague, apparently loaded question and that's all. My point was that equipment alone doesn't make it flyfishing. For me there are other requirements.
    Actually... I think you belittled yourself by your touchiness.
    Your initial post was really good.
    nam

Nam,

Absent any other criteria, I'll stick with my response.

Fly fishing is whatever an individual fly fisherman believes it is.

Rather than argue semantics or minituae, I'll defend my response in this way:

I believe that a sport/pursuit/addiction/endeavor such as fly fishing should be as all inclusive as possible. Finding a 'definition' that limits it is not only elitist, it's counterproductive. All of us benefit when there are more folks that consider themselves fly fishermen.

For me, all are welcome. Any definiton that tries to push anyone out of the fold is anathema to me.

If anyone can explain why excluding anyone based on some as yet unwritten definition is in any way good for our sport, I'd certainly like to read it.

Buddy

Ps; Nam, I do so enjoy topics like this. Thx. BS

+ Reply to Thread