+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albright A5

Hybrid View

Default Albright A5

I would like to hear from the people that have or that have used one. How do you guys feel about them. I saw one for $109, its a 9ft 5wt. Do you guys think thats a good deal?

Garb,

I haven't used one or cast one, but everyone I know that has one really likes the rod. I did buy one of their less expensive (about$49 or so) for my son-in-law and it's a fine casting tool. May wind up buying one for myself.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I bought the 9ft 6wt 5pc A5 a few months ago on their sale, for about $160 inc. case. I would describe it as a firm medium action that I really like. It is a little softer than my competition casting rods, but roll-casts like a dream (and far), and has a good feel for putting the fly where you want. IMO this is because there is enough firmness in the butt to tell you when the rod is loaded on the backcast, even though it is not generally a stiff rod. I would describe it as a fishing rod as opposed to a casting rod - if that makes any sense to you. No complaints. For the price you mentioned, I think you should get it.

If you get it, let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by Greg H; 05-12-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add last sentence

I have a 7'6" 3 wt A5. It is equal in every way to many rods I have used which cost 4 or 5 times as much.

I have the 5wt A-5...Seems just a tad shorter than my 9-foot rods, so it must be an 8'-6" rod. I've had it and used it quite a bit over the last year-and-a-half. I really like it! Its a great rod, casts great, fights fish great. Its light.

I picked up a Sage Z-Axis at a store one day (Bass Pro or Cabela's). The rod felt and LOOKED like the A-5! Does it cast the same? I can't answer since I've never cast line on the Z-Axis...although I think both rods were compared in the "5 wt Shoot-out" article that you can access via the Albright website. I would never suggest the two rods are identical. But the similarity was enough to make me wonder about who actually manufactures the blanks for those companies.

So, in summary, yes the Albright A-5 is a VERY nice fly rod, and the price you quoted is certainly a bargain for what you'll get.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread