+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Little Help Please?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default A Little Help Please?

The photo is a downstream view.

I approach from downstream...below the triangle

There is a down tree there now . i stood tight up to the tree

The hole is relatively shallow. There are a 17inch and 18 inch brookie in this hole. Those are conservative size estimates. Both with shoulders.

I did see the 2 huge trout in the hole.

I think a size 8 girdle bug would catch one of the monsters. Black body white legs unweighted.

Not much current. Little green slime on top and covering bottom. Both are hook jawed males.

Red circle is where they lay.

What would you use?

Default Have you considered.....

Have you considered using a down stream presentation, that James E. Leisenring recommended, using his Leisenring lift method of called for the fly to be cast across the stream along the bank of the stream, with the only the leader in the water with the fly line held off the water. As the the fly reaches the end of it run, allow it to to be swept across the stream by the current. This work for dry flies as well as wet flies, nymphs and emergers. This will draw the trout out of their spot to follow the fly pattern.

Another idea created to James E. Leisenring was dressing the pattern backward on the hook with the head of the fly at the rear of the hook shank, and the rear up near the eye of the hook. Then as the fly pattern drifts downstream, the hook is presented up front toward the fish with the fly pattern being more realistically presented....

I have used both method (together) with great results. ~Parnelli

Might try a wounded minnow pattern.
    Last edited by jeffro; 05-19-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: respect
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post

What would you use?
    Dynomite sorry I couldn't resist

Blog Entries

one of my buds gave me a Muskrats Regret i might try.
    This a headwater hole.
    It may be on the agenda in the next couple days.

Blog Entries

Parnelli's approach is quite similar to what one might do if he was spin casting. It certainly worked for many years that way for me. I see no reason for it not to work in this situation.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Spinner,

I have a question. If both are males with hook jaws is it safe to say that they are nesting?
    If so because of the slow stillness of the water and the leaves falling I don't think they will rise too much and with film on the water and leaves its hard to get an undetected drift so I would send down an egg pattern maybe leach or something that they would attack to protect and not so much for sustenance.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I would fish at night and approach from above on the opposite, right side of the bank.

I would use a Borger collared leech or a Kelly Galloup Zoo Cougar or a Kelly Galloup Heiffer Groomer in black. All three of these patterns have the collared head which push water as they are retrieved. The collar sends out an acoustic signal that allows the predator fish to locate the area where the fly is. The black color then provides the strongest silllouette at night so the predator can see the fly.

I would cast down and across and bring the fly back across the holding position of the fish. Use the appropriate weight or a sinking line to get the fly down.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread