+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SQUIRRELLY TUBE FLIES - Eye of the Guide - May 10, 2010

Blog Entries

Default SQUIRRELLY TUBE FLIES - Eye of the Guide - May 10, 2010

SQUIRRELLY TUBE FLIES

When I was a boy growing up, the very first game animal I hunted was Squirrels. The woods were full of the big Red Fox Squirrels. Not only were they great sport for a growing lad, they were also very tasty to eat, and on top of that they were a source of fly tying material.

Besides the Red Fox Squirrels, which were pursued in the forests of Oak, Beech and Maple, the northern pine forest had an abundant population of the smaller Pine Squirrels.

Default How do you actually connect the hook with the tube?

I must admitt I am new to this concept of fishing these flies. Ican understand tying it but once it is inside the tubing how do you connect it to the tippet? I mean you have to cast it right?

It would be very useful to show photos of how you tie it and what knot you use for this type of fly.
    Thank you inadvance and appology for inexperience

Normally the tippet is run through the tube, the hook attached to the tippet witih your knot of choice, then the hook is placed in the tube. In most cases when the fish strikes the fly the hook separates from the tube and the tube slides up the tippet, saving the "fly" from damage.

No apologies necessary, good question.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Yes, it was an obvious question given the way the example above was given...they just did the hook that way for demo purposes I guess,,,it's what REE said....the hook is tied on last when you rig up.

Correct. The fly is tied ON THE TUBE and then, when you are ready to use it, you slide your tippet through the tube, attach the hook of your choice, and slide the tube down over the hook. Fish strikes the tube, fish gets hook instead, tube slides up the tippet, fish is landed, fish is admired, fish is released, tube is slid back down over hook, and fishing continues. Tying flies on tubes allows the angler to tie a large fly and then use a small hook.

The Chronicler

+ Reply to Thread