I fly to fishing destinations about a dozen times per year. Each involves at least four flights. The constant admonition to check with the airlines about security issues went out the door on 9/11 or shortly thereafter. The airlines used to hire and train the security people, now they have little to do with it, though they can offer some basic help. They can't guarantee anything, though. I will tell you airlines do not have to allow any carry-on item that has a single measurement longer than 22". It is rarely enforced, but it exists. Also, though TSA regs say you can bring on rods, reels, and flies, they don't tell you several other things. You can bring on rods, but sometimes not rod cases. You can bring on reels, but maybe not the flyline or backing. You can bring on some flies, but as pointed out, maybe not anything very large. Many of these decisions are up to the person on duty in the security area when you go through it. Arguing about it (especially if you're obnoxious) can mean being placed in a room while a supervisor comes to talk to you, but that supervisor doesn't show up until you've missed your flight. Almost all of the travel agencies that deal with fishing travel (Frontiers, Angler Adventures, etc. ) will flatly state in their literature to you to check all your fishing gear through unless you're willing to take a chance on missing a flight. It is wise advice. It bothers me to do so, too, although less so today than when I first started doing it. However, it really isn't worth the hassle of being sent back to check-in to check something through (meaning standing in line again and maybe paying an extra baggage fee because now you're up to three checked pieces) only to find out that you are about to miss your flight. At the very least, if you persist anyway, I would make sure I get to the airport the full two hours or more most airlines recommend (at least for foreign travel) to avoid missing a flight . If anyone doesn't believe me, I have many stories of guys I travel with who thought they knew better and have missed flights. Understand, that there are lots of guys saying that they got through with their rods, reels, etc. and probably 80% of the time you won't have a problem. But, eventually, if you fly enough, you will. TSA does not have to allow 30" rods in aluminum rod tubes, nor fly reels with 90' of fly line and 200yds of backing. They may allow them, and they may not. All I'm saying is be prepared for the day when they won't. The advice about being concerned for the return trip is valid, too. There are places that are much fussier at security than our own TSA and that can be a real problem for you. Also, if connecting at another airport where you have to re-enter the TSA security area if you change terminals can also be a problem. Your 30" rod tube that they allowed through in Newark isn't being allowed through in Boston. What do you do now?