+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANGLING AND TROUT - Readers Cast (Gigmaster) - May 10, 2010

Blog Entries

Default ANGLING AND TROUT - Readers Cast (Gigmaster) - May 10, 2010

ANGLING AND TROUT

It?s a good bet that many modern warm-water anglers have been frustrated at one time or another by a well-meaning person's Angling-Impaired assumptions about fly fishing. Many is the time that a person has seen my fly gear and immediately said, "Oh, you're a trout fisherman, huh?" I'm sure they mean no harm. But why is Angling so tightly associated with trout? I have a few ideas on the subject. Please bear in mind that they are strictly my own ideas, rather than proven fact.

I agree and hear you loud and clear. I am a fly fisherman for crappie and bass. But all people think of is trout.........so let them.

Yessir, the looks you get when putting a float tube into a bluegill pond are comical.

When I started reading the article I recalled an incident a few years ago. I was up in Grundy Provincial Park. I had my fly rod in hand and headed over to the shoreline to fish late in the day. There were several teenagers and young adults casting with spin gear into the water. They were talking loud enough for me to hear..."Look at the lady with the fly rod!", followed by loud laughter. "What the *&%$ does she think she's going to catch with THAT!! Louder laughter. I smiled at them, tied my fly on and showed them. It was my turn to laugh as I pulled up a nice 5lb bass...just like this one.

...then several bluegills, crappy and a pike, before the sunlight disappeared. They pulled up nothing.

I just love sending them away with tails tucked. ROFLMAO!!!

I still get that reaction on my local river too. "Hey Lady!! What are you fishin' with that for? There aren't any trout in this river!" (Well actually there is but that's my secret.) I'd often haul up a fish of some sort...usually SM Bass and hold it up. That was enough. Most say, "Gee! I didn't even know there were fish in this river!!" Surprise, surprise.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread