+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Report on Beulah Switch Rods

Hybrid View

Default Report on Beulah Switch Rods

I am looking to hear from someone who owns and fishes one of the Beulah Switch Rods. I am interested in buying an 11' 7wt, but have not had a chance to cast one yet. Does anyone here own ANY of the Beulah rods?

Thanks in advance.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Default Beulah Switch

Quote Originally Posted by ROR-EYE View Post
    I am looking to hear from someone who owns and fishes one of the Beulah Switch Rods. I am interested in buying an 11' 7wt, but have not had a chance to cast one yet. Does anyone here own ANY of the Beulah rods?

Thanks in advance.
    I have both a Beulah 10-6 6/7 wt switch rod, and a TFO 11-0 7 wt switch rod. To me, the Beulah is a bit slower and softer, with a pleasing, large grip. It casts well, but I wish I had purchased the heavier "Tonic" line that they sell for it rather than the Elixir, as I think that it would have made learning the technique a bit easier. I have also cast it with a 9wt SA Steelhead line (as recommended by Beulah, and that was OK too.) One key to the Spey style, especially with the Switch rod, is to use the proper length and style "tip" and leader. The "tip" (not usre what the correct term for it is), is either a floating or sinking variety, to which you add a leader. Use the "Poly" floating style leaders (10-15 ft), and then a stiff "Rio Steelhead" leader at the end of that, or one of the density compensated sink tips , again with a steelhead leader at the endt. Spey leaders are expensive though, compared to trout leaders. I discovered that it takes some practice to fish a Spey style rod, and as a guide told me, the key is to really load the rod with a heavy line and then let the rod shoot the line for you. I have since purchased a Dec Hogan 13-0 spey rod, and find it to be MUCH easier to spey cast. I am anxious to re-try the Beulah (and TFO) now that my rudimentary Spey skills have improved. I do like the control that the extra length gives me, and so the Switch function really does work well. I have also talked to some fisherman on the water using the 7wt Beulah Switch, and they were casting it quite far, and seemingly with out effort. That makes me think that its the indian, not the arrow.

I'll be happy to address any specific questions.

Jim

Thank you Jim.

32steelhead--I just sent you a pm.

George

I do not own a Beulah Switch, but have cast a bunch of them including the 11 ft for 7 wt. All the Beulahs are just too soft or whippy for me. In the past year I have purchased 2 Sage 11 ft Z-Axis Switch Rods--a 7 wt first and & now a 5 wt. The Sage Z-Axis Switches are quite fast and I like them for both single and double handed use. They spey cast well for me.

I also currently own 3 spey rods and started spey casting in the early 90's.

Hope you get what you like and are happy with it.
    Max

Thanks George and Max.

+ Reply to Thread