Thread: What bird book?

Threaded View

Just when I thought that birding guides had reached their limit along come a couple that I think are above the others.....

I recommend:

David Sibley's books:
    The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley (too large for the field but great for home---all the birds for the US
    for Wichita, I'd recommend:
    The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America by David Allen Sibley and Rick Cech
    smaller and field guide size.

Ken Kaufmann's (native Wichitan) book:
    Birds of North America (Kaufman Focus Guides) by Kenn Kaufman, Rick Bowers, Nora Bowers, and Lynn Hassler Kaufman

This one is field guide size and utilizes actual photographs that are digitally enhanced to emphasize important field marks. I find a lot of folks like this.
    What is really nice though, today is the iPhone apps that bring the books with illustrations, photos and songs directly to your phone. I have a couple---each with advantages and disadvantages. Can't wait until one puts it all together. Very handy in the field, especially if you want to geotag observations or check on the call you just heard.

btw, There is a very active group of birders down in Wichita. They'd be more than happy to introduce you to birding or to answer you questions. They meet out at the Great Plains nature center and actively discuss birds on the KSBIRD list. Send me a pm if you'd like contact info.

BW
    Last edited by Brad Williamson; 05-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.