+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader Question

Hybrid View

Default Leader Question

What is the best all purpose, reasonably priced, saltwater leader available? I'm on a budget and can't afford to have more than one spool, so I need a leader that will work inshore and possibly offshore (no big game fish). I'll definitely be fishing inshore and I might take it with me when I go offshore with my wife's uncle.
    I'll be fishing in the Wrightsville Beach area of NC.

Normand Guest

probably one thats hand tied

Wow, that's a tough question to answer. I don't know that it's really possible to answer with just one suggestion because there are so many different variables to each fishing situation.

If when you say "leader" you are talking about the tippet, and not the butt section of the leader, then you still limit yourself. I think a good allround choice would be 12lb line. I use plain old Stren, but I've got it tied to a 17lb line that is a bit stiffer for the butt section, and then I've got 50lb flourocarbon tied onto the 12lb for a shock tippet. So you see, I already have 3 different lines for my leaders.

If you're talking about buying pre-made tapered leaders, I'm afraid I don't know how to answer that question. I would definatley recommend that you have some heavy flouro for a shock tippet depending on which species of fish you're after, and maybe even a wire leader or two tied up and ready to go in case you get into some really toothy fish like mackarel or blue fish.

I have found that in all my saltwater fishing I very rarely change my leader, but I do change the shock tippet and wire bite leaders fairly often, so 1 leader could potentially last a long time as long as you're not damaging them too much on coral and other underwater obstacles. I usually make up a dozen or so leaders and keep them in a little pouch so that if I do need to change, I just take one out, and loop-to-loop it to my fly line, tie on a shock tippet, the fly and I'm fishing again.

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you too much,
    TT.

I recently decided to follow up on saltwater guru comments re saltwater leaders. These guys tend to stay simple, i.e: a 5-6' length of 20# Ande or other mono as a leader. I attached the 20# length with a double surgeon's loop to my fly line and casted away.

Casted beautifully with good loops, etc. straight line at "plop down" and now that's what I'm using as a leader.

When the 20# leader gets shorter, I can always attach a 15# length of tippet to my fly.

Thumbs, so correct me if I'm wrong but do you simply tie different strength mono together to form your "leader" and then attach another section of heavier mono or wire for a shock tippet? I have mono of all weights, so putting together a "leader" such as that would be no problem. I was inquiring about pre-made tapered leaders, but I wasn't too dead set on them. I just want something that will work.

Really, I think I was trying to get someone to tell me that I didn't need a pre-made tapered leader.

Quote Originally Posted by NCVirginian View Post
    Really, I think I was trying to get someone to tell me that I didn't need a pre-made tapered leader.
    You don't need a pre-made tapered leader.

Most of the fishing i do is for stripers and stuff up here in the Northeast. I use 2 different leaders-- one with floating lines and one with intermediate/sinking lines.

With floaters, a 9' 4/3/2 leader with a 4' butt section of 35 or 40lb mono, 3' mid section of 30 or 25lb mono and a "tippet of 2' of 20 or 16lb mono. I generally use clear or Ande.

With intermediate and sinking fly lines I just use a short, straight shot of 20lb Ande, (not tapered) anywhere from 4 to 6' long. The short leader prevents flies from rising up defeating the purpose of a sinking line.

I often fish this as is with out a shock or bite tippet for stripers. But, depending on what I'm fishing for, I might add a short 60lb mono shock leader if there are big fish around, and for toothy fish like bluefish, I have simple flies pre-tied to 4-6" of single strand wire with a haywire twist, but you could carry a knot-able wire like Tyger Wire to rig up quickly on the water.

Leaders in SW can be a lot less complicated than the ones used in trout fishing where they need to turn over small flies, and provide drag free drifts. SW flies will generally have enough weight to lay out pretty well, and even if they don't they are usually actively retrieved when you strip them in, or swung on a tight line.

Good luck,

Mark
    Last edited by peregrines; 05-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.

NCVirginian: I agree with all suggestions from FAOL posters re your question and, I, too, have started to use a straight length of 20# Ande for my leader and have found it to be satisfactory, as I posted.

However, if you don't want to be bothered with tying your own leaders from several pieces of mono in different pound tests, you can purchase, when available, Scientific Angler or Rio or Orvis tapered leaders from sierratradingpostdotcom who often has very good prices on tapered leaders. When they have a sale, I buy a dozen or two for me and my fishing buddy. All perform very well.

Ron

So I'm digging through my box of differing strength fishing lines the other night so that I can start tying up some leaders and realized (much to my dismay) that the strongest thing I've got is 30lb. mono. . . in RED!!! I have the better part of a spool of it left over from my trolling days on the coast. The next best thing I have is 14lb. mono.

So what's the LIGHTEST you would go for the butt section? Also, would you use the red for the butt? Would you use it at all, maybe for a shock tippet?

i'm very curious to see the answer to your last NCVirginian...never occured to me to use red for the butt section...i can see the use of it though. Let's see what the guys with experience have to say.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 05-14-2010 at 06:35 AM.

I'm curious as well since I've got so much of it. Since I don't really do much trolling anymore, it's just kind of collecting dust.

+ Reply to Thread