While visiting the Bellevue show and watching a good friend tie his incredible flies I wandered over to the Elkhorn Rod booth. There was a nice little 4 wgt "Boo rod that seemed to be calling my name. I've never cast a cane rod, nor have I ever really wanted to own one. After a little time on the casting pool with it, my wife said if I wanted a Bamboo rod, then I deserved it, so I decided I'd take it home with me.

It's a 7'6" two piece 4wgt with the Elkhorn MA-1 reel, lined with a Cortland Sylk line. The test casting at the pool was okay, but I really wanted to try one on the river.

We finally got some time and hit the Little D last Monday. It was pretty chilly with a good breeze. I was starting to regret bringing a 4 wgt because of the wind. Once I adjusted my casting stroke I was punching out 30 to 40 foot casts into the wind with no problem. This rod isn't as slow as I thought bamboo would be. The rod dampens quickly and shoots line very nicely. Very light in the hand (but then, it is a 4 wgt), smooth casting and a delight to look at. The other flyfishers we passed gave it an admiring look or two also.

As a first time Bamboo owner, I really like this set up. It is going to be my go-to rod for small streams, that I know already. Unfortunately, it has given me the "Boo bug, bad. JeremyH told me that Bamboo rods are like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one.

REE