+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimalist box

Wouldn't what you carry depend on what part of the country you in? Or am I reading too much into this thread?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Cold Guest

I think it's more: what would YOU carry. Your typical conditions.

This is a good mental exercise for me, as I just received my first custom rod, also my first 1wt, and I'd like to start going really minimalist with it in the coming months.

Keep in mind that this box would be for short range, small stream 1-weighting:

4 - Woolly buggers, 1 each, black, white, olive, brown
    4 - wet flies, 1 each: leadwing coachman, ibis & white, peacock & starling, partridge & olive
    4 - nymphs, 1 each: hares ear, BH PT, black stone, latex caddis
    4 - streamers, 1 each: olive bucktail, black/brown/orange/yellow bucktail, purple marabou leech, muddler minnow
    4 - dries, 1 each: para-adams, elk hair caddis, olive emergent sparkle caddis, royal wullf
    4 terrestrials, 1 each: black ant, foam beetle, foam hopper, stimulator.

2 dozen flies and I can catch just about any trout for miles around...assuming I had any talent.

1/2 dozen elk hair caddis, size 14. A couple each of the "Too Simple Baetis Nymph", in brown, black, olive, tan, and chartreuse also size 14. That's all I've been carrying lately and it's a lot more fun for me to just pick up a few rocks and get the color of the nymphs in the stream and stick with that fly. Makes me focus on my technique more.

+ Reply to Thread