+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Flyfishing Schools

Default Orvis Flyfishing Schools

Has anyone here been to any of the Orvis fly fishing schools. Just started looking into them and was looking for input from anyone with experience.

Joe,

The quality of any school, Orvis or otherwise, depends on the quality of the instructors. I have worked as an instructor at both Orvis and LL Bean schools, and found myself in the midst of some very fine instructors in each case. LL Bean requires FFF certification for their instructors, and I did feel that the level of instruction was higher, certainly with the casting portions, at Bean because of that. Bottom line is that you will learn a lot at a school like this, especially if you are new to fly fishing. Yes, there are certainly less expensive options out there for instruction, a Fish-In being a great example. But the school setting is more formal and there is a set curriculum. I think some folks, myself included, learn more in a structured setting like this. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    Some people think (myself included) believe they misrepresent themselves to the public,
    Really? How so? As for the "Orvi$" bit, I've got no issue with a company trying to make a buck. As far as I know, that's what businesses do - make money.

I've also heard the comment before that the FFF is all about money. I'm curious - why do you believe this? I can tell you this - the FFF instructors I know put in hundreds of hours of volunteer time teaching folks to cast and fly fish. Most of them are casting nerds who teach because they love fly casting and they love to teach fly casting. And if you're talking about the FFF as an organization being all about money, well, I guess I disagree. I happily pay my dues and recertifcation fees. Not many organizations I know run sans money. And I have received far more from my affiliation with FFF than I will ever pay in dues or fees.

Wow, not quite the response I expected at first. Guess I should clarify my motives a bit. I've been fly fishing for years, got my first tying kit when I was 12 or 13, first fly rod 6 months after. I'm 21 now, and entirely self taught. Believe me when I say I've read more than enough on fly fishing in general to bump me out of the beginner bracket. But you can't learn everything by reading. I know there are plenty of ways to get casting/fishing tips. Hire a guide, go get a casting lesson at the local shop, fish-ins, just ask for help from local members. I asked about the Orvis school because there happens to be one not to far away that has a session shortly after my finals/birthday so I figured it might be a nice kick-off to my summer break. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with them. The cost isn't bad for 2 days of instruction that might fill in any blanks I've missed over the years, but they sound like complete intro/beginner schools so I was hoping to hear if anyone with some experience attended one and thought it was worthwhile. The fact that Orvis is "all about money" doesn't seem entirely true when you look at the gear they produce but I guess it could be true on the schooling end since I don't have any experience with it. Maybe if some other companies focused on good business management on top of customer service and quality products they'd still be around. That's a discussion for a thread in the SOUND OFF forum though. I'm just asking if people think the schools are worth it.

Yep, you're right. Kind of got carried away there and hijacked your thread. My apologies.

To answer your question, I think you would be better served spending your money elsewhere. Sounds like you have a fair amount of experience, and these schools are definitely geared toward beginners. I suggest you do those other things you mentioned - finding opportunities to spend some time with experienced anglers (Fish-ins, etc.), maybe get a private casting lesson or two to move that part of your game up another level, and consider a guided trip on a local water. Pick your guide's brain and get him to help you fill in those blanks. The schools are great, but I suspect you are probably beyond that at this point. Best of luck!

Blog Entries

i believe trout fishing schools are great value, but then i started as a complete beginner. y'know, you could call and ask. find out how to contact the person who will actually run the school, be honest with that person about your own fishing, and see what s/he says. some schools are more flexible than others; most have enough instructors to go around. your own tolerance for sitting through lessons on something you know a little bit about is also part of the equation. i wound up doing the second day of my trout school over again, and learned much more the second time.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

If you want to become a brain surgeon, go to school. If you want to learn to fish, GO FISH. It ain't brain surgery ( as some would like you to believe)

Mark

You have not exactly explained why you want to take a school, fill in the blanks, not sure what you mean. Orvis schools and FFF schools are excellent. I am an instructor, have been for well over 20 years. I teach from beginners to advanced. If you called a qualified instructor and explained what you want to accomplish any good instructor would customize to meet your needs, evaluate your skill level and advance from there.

The bottom line is....any solid instruciton will help anybody. I attended a casting class after years of flyfishing, simply because I wanted to see omething formal...somthing I may be missing. I can honestly say that session didn't teach me much of anything about "casting"....but the instructor did show me something he did on "pickups". Something I adopted & still use today. Everybody has the capacity to learn:^) As with tying....a good solid foundation is the best start. Either by a knowledgable mentor....or an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by RodWest View Post
    You have not exactly explained why you want to take a school, fill in the blanks, not sure what you mean. Orvis schools and FFF schools are excellent. I am an instructor, have been for well over 20 years. I teach from beginners to advanced. If you called a qualified instructor and explained what you want to accomplish any good instructor would customize to meet your needs, evaluate your skill level and advance from there.
    Well said.

Except for very few individuals, every fly fisher can improve from proper instruction. I am one who believes that fishing alone can improve some skills such as reading water, wading, fighting fish. But other skills such as casting, specialty nymphing, mending, curve casting, knowing what cast to use and when to use them are better taught by instruction and practice.

Golf and fly fishing have a lot in common in that regard. Even the best golfers practice before, during, and between tournaments. My belief is that you have about as much chance of becoming a great golfer by just golfing without practice and instruction as a fly fisher has of becoming a great fly fisher by just fishing. I also believe that to become better you need proper instruction. Otherwise you are just reinforcing your mistakes.

To improve, you need to practice properly; to practice properly, you need proper instruction.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

this is the most absurd reply i have ever read on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    Joe: I am from Minnesota! "A Minnesotan goes on vacation, he puts on a new pair of blue jeans, puts $20.00 in the back pocket, and does not change either on the whole time his is gone!"

Some people think (myself included) believe they misrepresent themselves to the public, the name should be "Orvi$! If you did not notice "Orvi$" are not a Sponsor of FAOL, not that they haven't asked!

On FAOL we have tons of articles on fly fishing, that is all James Birkholm preach about for 12 years in his "Jim Castwell" column.

FAOL even has Video of Casting Styles.

There "Fly Fish Basic" Section on the main page of FAOL.

FFF is another group to avoid, they are all about "Money", and levels of accomplishment and it goes on forever, or until your banking account is busted!

Go to one of the FAOL Fish-In's this fishing season (those are listed on the main page also. Members of FAOL will straighten you cast out, and not charge you! You might buy them a couple of beers (that that is just a way of showing your appreciation). ~Parnelli
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread