Maodiver's question about what to set up a noobie with got me to thinking. (Yeah, I know. That's a scary thought.)

A buddy and I are planning our 3rd annual BLACK HILLS of SD trip. (Yes, Betty, we know there are no trouts in the Black Hills but we're going anyway.)

My buddy takes a very minimalist approach to his fly fishing. He wet wades so no waders, belt, boots, etc. He will probably bring only one rod (maybe 2 if he can find them both). In his old canvas creel he will carry everything else: one fly box, maybe a spare leader, one spool of tippet, a few old split shot rattling around in the bottom of the creel and maybe some bug spray and sun screen (if he remembers). I don't think he uses a nipper (his teeth work fine) and I've never seen him use a hemostat.

I, on the other hand, am a certified, card carrying member of the GEAR JUNKIE club. I will bring 4 rods, and in a fully loaded chest pack have: many spare leaders, several spools of tippet, split shot in every size imaginable, several fly boxes (even though I will probably use the same 4 types of flies for the entire trip), some strike indicators, and on a lanyard I will have nippers, hemostat, floatant, etc., etc., etc.

Now, here's the thing that bothers me the most about our fishing relationship. I don't think I catch any more fish than him, nor do I have any more fun than him. So, which one of us is the SICKEST???

OK everyone, fess up...

Which group do you fit into, MINIMALIST or GEAR JUNLIE?