+ Reply to Thread

Thread: getting into rod building Q's

Hybrid View

Default getting into rod building Q's

okay here is my situation. i am in the market for a new fly rod like what i see but i am looking in the cabelas magazine and you can buy blanks and a kit for rather cheaper then buying the rod. i guess i have few questions.

1. do i need any special tools?
    2. they come with "directions" it says will they be helpful enough?
    3. is it going to be a mess to were i just waste money because its my first and i will have a little idea of what to do properly?

any information would be great!

Deon
    Trout bum is an affectionate nickname for dedicated trout anglers, particularly those who practice fly fishing.

Deon,
    Check out this link; http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/
    Then get with Steve at Mid West Custom Rod Builders. He's a member her at FAOL. He's very helpful and a great guy to deal with. You can also check out Hook & Hackle. They are sponsors here and also very helpful. Most of all;
    Have Fun,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I built my first rod with a cardboard box with notches cut in each end for a wrapper. thread tension was controlled by how many books I stacked on top of the one the thread was run through. Your first rod will have flaws. Chances are your hundreth rod will have flaws too; they just won't be as evident to anyone else. One of the things you lose in building your own is the manufacturere's warranty. Blanks are usually warrantied but you lose any components you can't salvage and have to do the rebuild even if you found that you don't like rod building that much. If you follow directions you will end end up with a fishable rod. If you follow directions carefully you will have a rod you are proud of.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

so you guys think i should go for it?

Deon
    Trout bum is an affectionate nickname for dedicated trout anglers, particularly those who practice fly fishing.

Blog Entries

Absolutely! My first was built using a cardboard box like rainbow chaser describes, and my fly tying bobbin hanging off of the side for thread tension. It worked fine. Do your research, take your time and ask a lot of questions. You can build a nice rod on your first try if you are patient.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I built my first one in 2001. It's still my favorite 7 wt. I have a crooked guide, but it fished fine. I just did not double check the guides lining up before applying the finish to the wraps. But it catches fish just like other rods. I am about to do my second rod. Long time in between but I'll do more, I am sure. I have no special tools. A guy gave me a rod wrapping stand that is simply two wood V-Blocks with felt lining. But like others have said, a cardboard box would do the same thing.

Go for it!
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by deon View Post
    so you guys think i should go for it?

Deon
    Only if you have room in your life and wallet for another addicting hobby!

Seriously though it is pretty fun. There is something special about catching a fish using a rod you built. My first rod looked like crap, granted I was 13 years old when I made it, but it worked just fine and I still have it. Give it a try. At worst your out a few bucks. You'll end up with a fishable rod either way.

Yonks

Deon,

By all means go for it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to wrap a rod. Even I can do it. That must mean it's easy to do. You do get a great amount of satifaction from doing yourself. If you get stuck you can always ask questions here, guys are great at giving great advice here. I've bought several Cabelas kits and they are a quality kit. Have fun and let us know how it's going.

Beaver

Bass_Bug Guest

Like others have said, do lots of research. Check out as many rod building websites you can find. Along with the previous mentions sites, Jann's Netcraft http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/ is a great source.

There are many Internet videos and book available on the subject. I found Art Scheck's book: Fly Rod Building Made Easy very informative. it covers the entire process. Start with a book to see what all the process's are, then watch videos of each process to learn how each process is done.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 05-05-2010 at 04:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread