+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Felt Wading boot studs

Default Felt Wading boot studs

I did a search but couldn't find what I thought was already here SOMEWHERE. I know that many of you use just a sheet metal screw in the bottom of your felt boots for studs. Does anyone have a source for the carbide impregnated screw heads instead of buying screws in a Simms package and paying more?

Sorry, but I'm not intersted in debating the vibram sole thing on this thread. There are many threads about that already. I've purchased felt and I just want a stud for those and was looking for a less expensive alternative. I can just use SS sheet metal screws and replace them every season as one option but was looking for the carbide headed screw from a fastener provider. Anyone know of a source? I have our local Fastenal guy looking into it, but something tells me they will want me to order more than I need if they are special order.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rick

Here's what Chota and possibly Simms use:

http://www.seminolepowersports.com/e..._GOLD_ICE_.htm

You might be able to find smaller quantities elsewhere or split a bag of 250 with a few friends but those are the EXACT same studs Chota uses.

If I was you, I would slightly recess them so they don't protrude too far.

If for some reason you have replacement felt soles to put on to a boot, buy snow tire studs which are available all over the place. They get installed through the back of the sole before attaching it to the shoe. That are the best option because they won't protrude as far and allow both the felt & the stud to make contact which offers the best grip.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 05-04-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks, I think that those will do much better than standard sheet metal screws or SS sheet metal screws. I did find so Simms studs on sale but I can buy 250 of these for less than the sale price on the Simms studs. What makes the Simms so nice is that they have carbide pieces welded to the screw head for very long life. I still might have to replace these twice as much but have 10 times the amount, besides, might stick a couple of these on my snow thrower next season instead of buying chains.

Clay,
    I know your're trying to save a buck. Let me put my two pennies into the jar and do what you will with it. I have tried all the options of screw in studs except for the motorcross ones in the previous link. The sheet metal screws are ok. the Simms studs without the carbide pieces are better, and the Simms studs with the carbide pieces are the best. Ok, better, best meaning gripping power and wear. If I was fishing and heavy currents in a slick bottomed river, I'd want the Simms with the carbide. I really feel that they made that much of a difference.

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Thanks for the comments Jeff, appreciate your insight. I did find some Gold Ice Screws instock which were 1/2" but I am not sure that those are long enough. That just makes it into the felt and not the sole itself. I guess that I should look and see how long the Simms studs are.

Rick

If you have a couple of studs, take a couple to your local hardware store, they probably have bins full of the same stud, for a lot less money!

~Parnelli

Clay:

The newest studs are probably shorter because they are designed to screw into rubber which grabs the threads better. Chota on the other hand has a built in plastic post on the midsole which their studs screw into. I'd venture to guess the Chota studs are 5/8" for that reason.

The Ice Screws, (which BTW are NOTHING like regular hex head sheet metal screws found in a hardware store) do come in lengths longer than 1/2" on the link I provided but that company is hardly the only source. On felt you do want to get at least a few threads into the midsole if you want them to hold. Another possibility is to attempt to saturate the felt at the stud locations with some type of glue to provide a firmer mounting point. Pliobond Contact Cement works which is a LOT thinner than Barge. Just apply a small circle of it where you want the studs. Apply it several times and let it soak in, then let it dry completely overnight.

Again, if you want the ultimate grip you want studs that BARELY protrude beyond the felt. I have used a Dremel bit like the one pictured on the far left in this link to create a recess in the felt to accomplish this. With a recess you get the best combination of felt & stud contact AND you can use shorter studs.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Clay:

The newest studs are probably shorter because they are designed to screw into rubber which grabs the threads better. Chota on the other hand has a built in plastic post on the midsole which their studs screw into. I'd venture to guess the Chota studs are 5/8" for that reason.

The Ice Screws, (which BTW are NOTHING like regular hex head sheet metal screws found in a hardware store) do come in lengths longer than 1/2" on the link I provided but that company is hardly the only source. On felt you do want to get at least a few threads into the midsole if you want them to hold. Another possibility is to attempt to saturate the felt at the stud locations with some type of glue to provide a firmer mounting point. Pliobond Contact Cement works which is a LOT thinner than Barge. Just apply a small circle of it where you want the studs. Apply it several times and let it soak in, then let it dry completely overnight.

Again, if you want the ultimate grip you want studs that BARELY protrude beyond the felt. I have used a Dremel bit like the one pictured on the far left in this link to create a recess in the felt to accomplish this. With a recess you get the best combination of felt & stud contact AND you can use shorter studs.

Good luck!
    My Simms Riversheds have depressions in the felt where the studs should go to accomplish the same thing as you taking your dremel and removing some felt. The pliobond is an interesting idea. Thanks again for the push in the right direction.

+ Reply to Thread