+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How young do you start kids FF?

its not my son, but my brother started when he was 7. he's 8 now and fishing any freshwater ponds that we go to. my other brother and i bought him a cabelas three forks outfit last year for his birthday. it is really a great starter rod.

[This message has been edited by phatkid248 (edited 04 March 2005).]

I maybe a bit differnt than most but I got it from my father who I still fish with on a very regular basis. Beginners need the very best as it is easier to learn with GOOD stuff. most apples fall close to the tree and if he sees you taking care of your rods and reels,he or she will too. If by chance they do break it... o well just another one of the expences of having kids.

Rich

I say 40...Too many people on the water already.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

My little girl is going to be 6 this year. Time to give it a go on a small creek loaded with brookies!

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:0b07b]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:0b07b]

As a guide I've seen too many overeager dads give the kind of instruction that would have sent me looking for a skateboard or some other thing that my dad wouldn't have tried to teach me how to do. I've seen a few ten year olds that can and do fish well, and some 14 year olds that could really give their dad a run for his money. I think if they have the attention span and the desire to learn and you commit to making learning fun then no age is too early.

When I learned somebody got me a hula hoop and put it in the yard and just let me practice casting into the hoop, which I would do on my own whenever I was bored. I got good at casting which definately was one less thing to worry about when I got in a real situation. I also had the help of a Fenglass rod, it's slow delebrite action shurely helped me as a beginner.

I'm ill prepared to answer, having never yet started a "young'n" flyfishing, but I have always believed that you start 'em fishing when they want to go with you. My 2 eldest Granddaughters (#3 only 2 months old) want to go this year, and while I'll fix them up with Zebcos & live bait, if they want to reel a fish in on the flyrod (that's IF their Daddy is there & IF I fish at all), I'll sure let the girls try...worse they can do is break a warranted rod/best they can do is have fun...that's a "no-brainer"!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Sounds to me like he's ready since he's begining to ask about it. My daughter started to fly fish about that age (she's just turned 16 now and probably a better caster than me!). My younger daughters have been tying flies since about the age of three. They get to pick the materials, so the resulting flies are some of the most gawdy, colorful things you'll ever want to see, but hey, we have fun.

I would suggest limiting the time of your fist few outings to no more than a hour or two. Kids get frustrated quickly. And don't press the issue too much if, after a few casts, he just wants to flip over rocks looking for nymphs and crayfish. Above all - KEEP IT FUN! That "funness" is what gets kids hooked.

Also, I think the best advice I can give is to not expect to do any fishing yourself...

for a long, long time.

-Darryl

------------------
    All along this path I tread, my heart betrays my weary head
    With nothing but my love to save, from the cradle to the grave
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

i started my son out at age 12...but i think he could have started earlier (10)
    he'll be 18 next month, through the years it's the one thing that we both look forward to doing...getting out on the Beaverkill with the flys we tyed over the winter!!!
    take them fishing early and often..they grow up before you know it!!!
    bill

Every young man that I have known that wanted to flyfish, was really into it until they were 15-16. Then they discovered girls. They did not get back into it until they were into their 20's. It is fine to take time with them but just don't fool yourself by saying "My kid wouldn't do that".

My son that is 5 ties flies and fly fishes. He caught his first crappie at 3,cast, set hook and reeled it in.

My two year old ties flies,ends up being a big ball of feathers but he tries. I took half of a old rod, tied fly line to the bottom guide, put the line htrough the other guides and attached a feather to the other end and he thinks he has a fly rod.

the back of his hat say "Never To Young"

+ Reply to Thread