+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young do you start kids FF?

Default How young do you start kids FF?

My boy (10) is fishing for bluegills and crappies with bait. But I wonder if his coordination is ready for a fly rod? He is asking when he can go. Is that reason enough? I don't want him to have a bad experience if he can not handle the line. What do you think is a good age, on average?

I'll bet he is ready The question is are you ready to spend the time leting him learn. Show him a few basics and turn him loose where he will catch some fish. I have found over the years it is real easy to over do the lessons with kids especialy if there your own.

Rich

Hey Nuthatch,

Sounds to me like he's ready to give it
    a shot. I taught both of my boys to flyfish
    at about that age. I recently had a friend
    over that wanted to take up flyfishing. We
    went out in the yard and did some practice
    casting. Before we stowed the gear, my 7
    year old Godson wanted to try it. I rigged
    up a cheap 6 1/2 Graphlex for him to play
    with and showed him a few pointers. He did
    well enough that I bought him a rod and am
    including him in some of my trips this year.
    Fishing for gills and crappie only requires
    shorter casts normally and I think it's well
    within the reach of many pre-teens. If he
    is motivated, I'd pick him up a cheap
    outfit, get him his own flybox, and help him
    tie a few flies of his own. Let him set the
    pace. If he wants to go, take him. Just be
    prepared to sacrifice some of your fishing
    time to make his more productive. And if
    necessary, be prepared to put a hook and
    bobber on his tippet along with some garden
    hackle. These early experiences are all
    about being with Dad and catching fish. Not
    about the purity of the sport. Good luck.
    Warm regards, Jim

Nut,

If he's got enough coordination to throw a spinner bait, he'll be able to "load" a fly rod and cast.

Patience, ... its not a sacrifice of time (as Jim put it), ... more of an investment eh ??.

Toughest think is to get 'em to throw the line instead of the "hook". Once the understand that, the rest is pure fun.

Don't expect to FF for 8 hours in a row. And you might as well not even string up a rod for yourself. Part of the game.

Have fun ,... you'll be suprised how fast a youngster can catch on.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:223eb]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:223eb]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 05 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

5. Default

I built my kids an inexpensive fly rod in their favorite colors then showed them how to cast or flip a small bright colored streamer into the pond and told them when a fish grabs it jerk on the line.
    Not pretty but they can pick up the specifics and refine their technique if they continue with the sport.
    Also take some worms along for backup...you can always put a mealworm on the end of a streamer.
    The key is to have fun and if we drill them with techniques and theories it's too much like school.
    If they like it they'll ask to learn more and if they don't we'll go swimming next time.

I've taught children as young as 11/12 to fly fish. I just have one rule. Eye protection. I don't want to be a wet blanket,but I've taken hooks out of an arm,ear,and neck but the thought of an eye gives me chills. When I first got back into fly fishing a sunglass manu. ran a print ad. campaign. All it was was a royal wolf hooked in an eye with the tag line "wear eye protection" I guess it's not that effective if I can't remember the manufacturer, but it sure made an impression on me. I always have access to a first aid kit with scouts.

Coach,

Excellent post.
    ...I've taken hooks out of an arm,ear,and neck but the thought of an eye gives me chills.
    I have, ... not a pleasant way to end an outting.

Further, a hat is in order ... want to turn someone OFF of ff'ing, let 'em get zipped in the ear by a fly.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:98f1e]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:98f1e]
    Christopher Chin

I started my 8 yr old daughter last year with a spinning rod rigged up with an cone shaped bobber and aboout 3' of tippet and a floating fly. Taught her to cast and then stop the line just before the bobber hit the water, then watch the fly which will land beyond the bobber. Slow retrieve, twitching the fly drives the blue gills wild. Got her to watch for the "take" and then set the hook. She's been working on casting with a flyrod. I think she'll be ready for it this summer.
    Pete

Both of my boys started fly fishing at about 4 years old. My oldest boy caught his first trout on a fly at 2 1/2 with his little brother in a basket asleep on the bank. You can never start them to young. Ron

Hi folks, RW here

My uncle started me fishing at about age 4. I started my own twin boys at about the same age. I started them with canepoles so they would stay interested by catching a lot of fish, and could catch fish without all the cordination problems of casting and the like at that young age. By age 8 they were handling baitcasting outfits without backlashes, and from then on it was just more learning process. They were even featured in a feature article I did for "Outdoor Life" in 1971. At age 45 they still fish with me often for trout, bass and on steelhead trips. They both fly fish. It's never too early to start kids fishing. In fact, my grandson holds two IGFA line class junior world records.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 04 March 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

+ Reply to Thread