+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On A New Rod/Reel

Default Need Advice On A New Rod/Reel

I have decided to upgrade from my $20 walmart special. I really don't know anything about what rod/reel I need. I am a hardcore trophy bass fisherman, but I am trying to get into fly fishing. I will be using this rod mostly for sunfish and small bass fishing in small creeks/rivers and ponds. Any advice on what I should get? I would like to keep the combo under $300. I am open to buying used tackle if I could get something at a better price also.

Thanks!

First let me say that you have omitted possibly the most important item. Budget $70 for a good line. You don't need a lot of reel for the kind of fishing you are talking about. You can get an adequate one for $50 dollars or less. That leaves up to $180 for a rod. I would think a five or six weight rod would work well for you. If you are thinking mostly small rivers try for an eight foot rod. For bigger rivers and lakes you would probably want a nine fot rod. If you can accept a two piece rod you will get it a little cheaper than the same rod in a four piece. Temple forks outfitters and St Croix both offer good rods that will come in well under budget in the two piece models. You might also look at packaged combos for a better price but make sure they come with a decent line.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 05-04-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

There are many, many ways get an excellent combo for less than $300, either by purchasing rod, reel, and line separately or by purchasing a combo package that includes rod/reel/and line. Based on your stated fishing need I would suggest a 5/6 or 6wt combo. The Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) NXT combos at $199 are very popular at the shop I help out with. Other popular outfits are the Cortland 444+ outfits, Diamondback Americana Outfites ($249), Redington Red.Fly2 outfits ($250 2pc, $300 3pc), and Ross Essence outifts ($199).

Popular setups here created from separate components include a TFO Signature ($110) 2pc or Professional 4pc ($149) rod paired with a Cortland Pro Cast ($69), Ross FlyStart ($55) or G. Loomis Venture ($100) reel, and lined up with a Rio Mainstream ($40) flyine.

These are just some examples. Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Orvis, and LL Bean all also have excellent combo packages for under $300.

My first fly rod was a Scientfic Anglers
    with cost me $30.00 with my first reel
    which was a Pflueger Medalist that cost
    me $25.00 plus an air cel line that cost
    about $30.00. Add in a few leaders and
    flies and I was fishing for under $100.00.
    Although I have collected a few other rods
    and reels since then I still have and fish
    my first rod and reel. It doesn't take a big
    budget to get out there and have fun. Just
    shop around and keep an eye out for good
    deals and sales. A 6 wt , 9 ft sounds just
    about right for the fishing you described.
    With a budget of $300.00 you should be
    able to get set up pretty nice. I agree with
    rainbowchaser , set aside plenty for a good
    line.

I would recommend the Cabelas LST rod with RLS reel. Excellent deal for around $280 I believe. I have the 9' 7wt and love it.

For your line, see the post about hook and hackle line. As far as the rest goes, I'd head to the nearest fly shop and test out a bunch of gear. That's really the only way you can determine what works best for you.
    Last edited by clarkman23; 05-04-2010 at 03:43 AM.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

If you can ease just a little higher, Orvis is offering a free reel when you buy a Power Matrix, Hydros, or Helios rod. A 2 piece Power Matrix is around $325. If you get the Large Arbor reel, you should be able to turn it around on ebay or the classifieds here for $100 easy, then replace it with a cheapo and still have a $325 rod to play with.

Don't forget to check out Albright for rods and reels. I bought my son-in-law one of the Albright GP rods so he could be converted from spin fishing to Fly Fishing. Before his casting lesson I tried the rod out and was I impressed. With a Scientific Anglers Mastery line it cast like a rocket. It was so nice, I want one for myself. At $40 or so, it's a great, great deal.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

stumpy,
    as a fellow mississippian let me welcome you to the board. if you are into trophy bass fishing then go for the gusto and get an 8 weight. i use a 7 weight but wish i had gone up one more. if you just want to hunt trophies on your heavy gear then i would also suggest a 5 or 6 weight as the others. as others have said get a cheap or used reel get good line and you will still have enough for a good rod. email me if you want to talk.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

I will second the Cabela's LST-RLS combo. They come with Mastery series line. I use a LST 9' 8wt on pond bass to throw large rabbit strip leaches and poppers it has always had enough backbone. I also use a LST 7'6" 2 wt for bluegills and crappie. They are great rods and reels.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

+ Reply to Thread