+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Line Tanglement

Default Fly Line Tanglement

Hi: I'm new to fly fishing and last year (Fall) all I did was practise fly casting. Yesterday,I pulled out the fly rod and reel and pulle out about 20 feet of line and noticed that on the reel the fly line was coming real loose and started to tangle up. My question is ....how can I prevent this from happening because it is sure going to happen if I get out there on the water and that is not the place for that to happen....Any answers would be greatly appreciated.....thanks

If your reel has a drag adjustment knob, you may want to turn it to increase the drag/resistence on the line as you strip it off your reel. If it is an older or less expensive reel without a drag adjustment, you will need to carefully strip the line off and wind it back on under tension.

Hope this helps and welcome to FAOL.

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane from The Longest Silence.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks..anglerdave.....sure will be helpful

The tangling of the fishing line, is often refereed to as, "Bird-nest"! Bird-nest is caused by the reel spool, continuing to rotating, after the fishing line has ceased being stripped from the reel.

If you have a tension adjustment on the reel, you need to increase the tension, until the reel spool, stop at the same time the line ceases being pulled off the reel spool.

If there is no tension adjustment, you have to adjust how strong your are pulling the fishing line, from the reel spool.

~Parnelli

PS: I have an old Pflurger Baitcast Reel, that did not have a tension adjustment. It came with a leather pad, that rested against the reel spool, for you to apply pressure on the reel spool with your thumb. My grandfather used this reel for fishing for Pike in the 1940's.

"Slow Up", You're causing a backlash.

If it has an exposed lip you can hold it up against you while you pull out the line.

Ps. Dont get into baitcasting gear

I dont think it is so much if at all, how you pulled the line off as it is how you wound the line back on the last time you used it. My guess is as you rewound the line back onto the spool you didnt draw the the line on with some small amount of tension. Try holding the line between your thumb an fore finger of the rod hand as you wind the line back in. Im betting your problem will solved.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I have to agree with the Captn. Sounds as if your reeling in the line without tension. I try to keep the line clasped lightly between my first and second fingers of my casting hand. Gives me more control when casting, drifting a fly, and reeling line back on the reel.

Charlie

Thankyou Everyone. Your information will definatly help.......Thanks again......This is one great forum....

I agree that you need to reel in with tension. My method is to hook the line with my baby finger and click/wiggle it in and out on the retrieve. Call it a manual level wind. The line gets tracked back and forth across the spool and is under some tension. No tangles when unspooling.

+ Reply to Thread