+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube Flies

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Tube Flies

Didn't want to hijack the other tube fly thread anymore then we already did, so I thought I should start a new one. (Deon's thread got me thinking about the subject again.)

For those of you that tie tubes, do you use any of the ball/cone/teardrop head tubes? Brass tubes or just any free (Q-tip type) tube you can find?

I saw this starter kit, that didn't seem like too bad of a deal.
    http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...arter-kit.aspx

Not counting the vice attachment/pin to hold the tube, and besides the tubes and cones heads or beads, are there any other special items or material that would not normally be found in an average fly tyer's materiel stash?
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 04-29-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

What happened to everyone who said they tie tube flies?

I don't use Q-tips. So far, I've used Eumer plastic tubes, cones, brass tubes, and ballhead tubes. I've also used bead heads and things that look like discs (not sure what they are called).

The starter kit you noted looks good. I live 5 minutes from Mad River Outfitters - they are a great fly shop.

Sorry Bass Bug, I just saw the post! lol. Eumer makes very good tube materials as does HMH. I bought the HMH starter kit a couple years back and it was around $25. It came with the vice/mandrel, a bunch of plastic tubes and junction tubing. I ended up buying the copper tubes seperate. I tie most of my tubes on copper, since I usually use them for salmon and steelhead. The brass tubes are extremely heavy and are generally used for heavier, deeper water. The aluminum tubes are light and are stronger than the plastic. The plastic ones are nice for lighter flies or for adding lead eyes or heavy cones. You can use any of the lead eyes, bead chains, beads etc., on them, just make sure the opening on beads and cones will fit the size tube you're using. Most of your usual tying materials will work on tubes. The biggest concern is to not "build" them up as much as you might a standard hook fly. If you put too much thread, materials etc., on them, they usually fall apart. You definitely want to keep materials and thread wraps to a minimum. Good luck! They're fun to tie and work extremely well.
    Blue Dun, the discs are just referred to as cones. They're suppose to impart a lot of action to flies in slow or stillwater situtaions. I haven't tried them yet but I think they'd be great for bass flies. How have they worked for you?

While not being a tube fly tier, that kit is for MICRO tubes. Make sure that those are the size of fly that you want to tie.

Got to get back at this tube fly post. Anyone wanting a good site go to the expert--Tony Pagllei. site http:tubeflie.com Also GOOGLE Tube Flies for lots of info and patterns. No one has mentioned HOOK KEEPERS ---that smaller plastic tube that is attached to the rear of the tube that holds the hook in place. My best source a hospital nurse getting a used clear intervenus feeding tube. When the fish strikes it pulls the hook out and fly goes up the line. Ill nevr use anythingbut Qtips and my bike spoke---------BILL

At this year's Fly Fishing Show I bought a similar outfit of the micro line from Eumer's. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the materials.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Re: the hook keeper that Bill mentioned....tubes can be tied with or without them...but ....without them there are issues...basically poorer hook control....and folks that use a lot of tube flies say their hook up rate goes up using the keepers.

Bass_Bug Guest

Ok, so if I understand what you're all saying about hook keepers, then the clear junction tubing that comes with the hard tubes here are the hook keepers?

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...tic-tubes.aspx

I'm having a whole new respect for the tube tyers. There does seem a bit more to this than I thought.

the hook keeper tubing can be of any color, I like the tubing made form lite bright it can give an acent to the tube fly right at the hook.
    Ghost

+ Reply to Thread