Steven posted this in another thread. I think it is interesting stuff and deserves a thread of it's own. I wonder what others think of his observations?

Today 09:23 AM #14
Steven McGarthwaite

Join DateAug 2009LocationWhite Bear Lake MNPosts418

Just because someone was first, does not necessarily mean that they have it correct. I have been working with David Ulmers "Big Leader Formula since about 1998, and even that formula had a problem in the numbers. Took me 3 years to figure what was wrong, and another 2 years to figure out the solution. I am now attempting to use the corrected formula for furled leaders, and there are new variables that have to be taken into consideration, such as the 1-inch diameter pegs.

1-inch pegs circumference is 3.142 inches, which is also know as pi! The peg distances are from the center of the peg to center of the next peg, so you have to take into consideration the additional 3.142 inches added to the Lent of the run length.

I have looked at the peg locations of just about all furled leader layouts, and these peg positions do not make sense. There is no consent taper reduction percentage. You many not notice it when casting, but the furled leader has a hing effect, from the runs being unbalanced.

Then there is the matter of loop sequence, I see most talking about a 6:5:4 loop sequence (talking about the "V" board layout of 5 or 7 pegs.) with the wraps starting at the two hook at the top of the board, when each of the runs half a half loop when wrapping around the pegs so it is a 6-1/2:5-1/2:4-1/2 loops sequence.

Then there is the situation where some have the first inside peg being the shortest length run, which would wipe out the butt end of the furled leader from being able to transfer the energy of the cast correctly to the tip. Leader are normally 60 percent butt, 20 percent middle, 20 percent tip.

Then there is the problem of you have to have additional length to the board peg positions to compensated for the reduction in length of the finished furled leader.

I have not even gotten into the choice of material for the construction of the furled leader or the reduction of thread counts between each of the runs. What is the denier of the material? what is it approximate diameter?, does the material stretch (Nylon)? or are you using Polyester? Maybe you are using small diameter spin cast fishing line, what is its diameter, and what is its poundage?

If the line is too limp, it will not support the cast if the fly has too much mass (weight)!

Which is better 3 loop sequence (4 runs) or 4 loop sequence (5 runs) or maybe 5 loop sequence (6 runs, if you have enough length).

Steven H. McGarthwaite
U.S. Army Retired,
Senior Instructor on NBC, Survey, Topographer, Pipeline Design, Evaluator of Land/Air & Sea Battle Doctrine (LANS), Tactical Operation Center NCOIC. Design Tech of Mechanical Apparatus.

Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; Today at 09:52 AM. Reason: SPEEL CHEX, AND GRANDMA CORRECTIONS.