Thread: Playing with Boa Yarn Leech colors

Threaded View

Default Playing with Boa Yarn Leech colors

After fishing last night, I got home and decided to tie up some more different colors. Plus some old standby's. Rather than reorganize my fly boxes, I think I will take the lazy route and just start a new one.

Clearly I still need better lighting at my tying desk. The colors of these flies seems a bit washed-out...

I'll describe the colors, since they are hard to differentiate here. Starting from the 6 o'clock position and proceeding clockwise...
    -Black head with "sour apple" tail. Sour Apple is sort of like a slightly faded lime/chartreuse
    -Yellow. King of the boa yarn leech colors, especially for night fishing.
    -I combined Yellow and Sour Apple, to see what that would look like. Its also extra-full, so this should be great at night.
    -Solid Sour Apple with some pearl mylar tail. Just got this Sour Apple color recently, so haven't fished it yet. Looking forward to it. Its close to chartreuse.
    -I tipped the tail with Sour Apple, and then wound the rest with the green from the Mallard boa yarn color that Bernat manufactured.
    -Sage. Another new-to-me color.
    -Brown. This particular brand/skein is longer than most boa yarn. Should flow nicely. Looking forward to trying this too.
    -Two-tone Orange. The orange has worked well for me in certain waters for bluegills. This is from the Bernat "Tweety Bird" boa yarn.
    -In the center....White tail, pink head. Hey, pink& white twister-tail jigs or tube jigs were great crappie lures for me with spinning gear, so this should work too. The pink also came from the Tweety Bird boa yarn.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 04-28-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO