+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HONESTY - Neil - April 26, 2010

Blog Entries

Default HONESTY - Neil - April 26, 2010

HONESTY

Many moons ago I was involved with hands on fly-fishing education. I taught basic fly casting classes, gave fly tying instruction and I even taught a class at a community-based adult education program on the History of Fly Fishing. In later years I had a brief stint as a fly-fishing guide, but passed that rather onerous task on to my nephew who proved to be a far better guide than I could have aspired too.

Very good advice!

I honestly think a contributing factor to this phenomenon is that many of us aren't honest with ourselves about our skill and experience level. And there is a whole lot of unspoken belief that spending money should trump skill deficits. Whether it is that expensive rod, fly line, or reel or hiring "the best guide on the water," our culture has conditioned us in all areas of life to think that throwing money at something is supposed to result in satisfaction. Of course, the irony of this is that studies show that Americans are incredible unsatisfied. I wonder why? LOL

You're right to point out that hiring a trophy fish hunter as a beginner at that type of fishing is not a very wise investment. I want a teacher when I venture into the unknown. And the guy with all the grip-n-grin pics, tournament trophies, and IGFA records isn't that guy more often than not. This guy doesn't take out newbies and catch those whoppers. He takes out select anglers and hunts those fish very specifically - often ignoring a lot of fast action with smaller fish in the process. He's usually a Type A sort of fellow. Again, it's all about unrealistic expectations. Take that sort of trip once...maybe twice...with a great teacher and you'll be ready to fish with the trophy hunter next time! And you'll enjoy both trips.

Very good advice, Neill.

Also a very good point about technical trout fishing. Saltwater fishing really isn't that hard. There is the windswept bonefish flat with finicky cruisers to be sure. Casting bigger rods and flies isn't more difficult. Frankly, it's easier if you know how and have done enough of it for the body to be used to it. Making a delicate and accurate presentation cast to a tough lie on a moving stream and then getting a great dead drift immediately...now that's a horse of a different color! ...especially in that same wind with a much lighter rod and a tiny fly.
    Last edited by flyguy66; 04-26-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added qualifier about casting bigger rods

I've only used a guide twice in my life, both times for our anniversary sea-run cutthroat trip. Each time I've asked the guide, and friend, Steve Buckner, to give us all the casting, presentation help he can, and whatever else he thinks will help our fishing. Since I was up front with Steve when we first met, about our fishing ability, he has always been more than helpful. Each time VEE and I have been schooled during our day long trip. Honesty is always, I've found, to be the best policy.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread