+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FACT AND PARENTHESIS - Readers Cast (Roger Stouff) - April 26, 2010

Blog Entries

Default FACT AND PARENTHESIS - Readers Cast (Roger Stouff) - April 26, 2010

FACT AND PARENTHESIS

It's so silly isn't it? How we grown men take up trout fishing not simply to pursue trout but to find some place, some special place, where we feel at ease, a place to belong. God loves a man that smells of trout water and mountain meadows, cheap whiskey and branch water. Which way's heaven? Follow the trail and keep close to the stream. ? Arby Mulligan, Hymn No. 1 (the only hymn) of the Owl Creek Gap Church of Universal Harmony, in On The Spine of Time by Harry Middleton.
    Last edited by rtidd; 04-30-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Roger,
    It's great to read your work again. Nice to have you back. As for your fear of lacking as a significant contributor to society, I doubt seriously you have to worry about that. Your article struck a real chord in me as I'm sure it did in everyone who read it. Thanks for the picture of that stream. I'd almost forgotten about the red clay of Louisiana. You've made me realize that time can also be a friend. Memories are made of little capsules of time. Thank God we tend to remember only the good ones.
    Welcome home friend,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Roger you have an amazing gift. We are all struck by the malady of time and it rages faster the longer it has a hold of us..
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 04-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Hey Cuz,

Nice to see your toughts again. Had to stop and mull a while before posting. As I get further on in this life time seems to go by at a much faster rate than when I was younger. I was at my daughter's wedding two weeks ago. When I saw the pictures I kept wonder who the fat old guy was with the long grayish hair. Turns out it was me. I just don't see myself that way. I'm still a fairly fit 30 something in my minds eye. In that same minds eye I can still wade the tough spots, scramble over those boulders to get to the good water and all that. Somehow, my body just hasn't kept up.

Time to spend more time as fact, doing those things that are important to me and to those around me. You just never know.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

You're all most kind. It's good to be in the company of such fine folks again!
    Ron...at least your hair is gray and not gone! The frontal lobe gets colder every year.
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Hi Roger,

Really good read. I almost felt like I was there seeing it too.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread