+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustad 277's

Default Mustad 277's

I had a conversation with someone on another board about Mustad 277's size 32 gold hooks. What would you consider a fair price for these elusive hooks both by the full box or singularly. Then after saying that what would you pay.

Size what? 32???? Man I thought that the 22s I have are small enough for me. Consider this a bump for your question and I wanted to tag this one to see what everyone else thought.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Narcodog,

I know from previous posts at FAOL those hooks are rarer than hen's teeth but I can't help you with a good estimate of the going price. Even in my younger days, I would have had problems seeing them on the water. #20, #22, and in really good light #24 is about as small as I tie or care to fish. If you really want the hooks and can afford the asking price, go for it. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Narcodog,

I know from previous posts at FAOL those hooks are rarer than hen's teeth but I can't help you with a good estimate of the going price. Even in my younger days, I would have had problems seeing them on the water. #20, #22, and in really good light #24 is about as small as I tie or care to fish. If you really want the hooks and can afford the asking price, go for it. 8T
    I'm not looking to buy, just want to know what folks would pay for them if they were available. I have been tying 32 TMC hooks for sometime.

I was told that there had been a previous thread but I was not able to find it.
    Last edited by narcodog; 04-25-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Again Narcodog,

Sorry that I misread your intentions. The thread that I remember concerned several of our regulars who were daring each other and egging each other on to buy and tie on #32 hooks. I seems that they were going to locate a source of the hooks and split up a pack. It was a while ago, maybe three or four years. Seems like Ducksterman may have been involved with that group or was it the Brinks hold-up? It all gets fuzzy with time. I need a drink. Hope that helps. 8T

Hi Narcodog,

All I can say is get out the MAGNIFICATION!!

Like any scarce commodity, the price is based on what the market will bear.

Those Mustad size 32 277s have been a 'hard to find' item for while now.

Last person I know that bought some paid $20 for a 100 of them, but that was a few years ago.

Way too small for me. Right now I'm playing with novelty flies on 5/0 to 10/0 hooks....I can see these...a 5/0 adams is cool looking...doubt it will float, though.

Buddy

I know of a few that were recently sold for $300 per box of 100, and some for $5 each.
    Very few are now offered for sale. Beware: These are the smallest size 32s ever.
    There are several other size 32 hooks, but are larger.

Denny

about 25 years ago when i owned a fly shop, a man wanted 150.00 for a thousand, too much i said wish i took them. flyman 3

I sent an email to Mustad to get information on the hooks, when they were imported and how long they were made. I have not received any answer so far. It is really hard to find info on some of the old hooks except that they can be pretty expensive.

+ Reply to Thread