+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on Switch rod Reel

Hybrid View

Default Advice wanted on Switch rod Reel

Hello everyone... I am looking for a decent reel around 150 dollars or less, for a switch rod. I have an 11.0 4 piece deer creek 8 weight switch rod, and looking to pair it up with a decent reel, that can hold spey line, with decent backing.

Any advice on a good reel to match it up would be awesome!!

(a little more back ground. I have the Sage 1600 reels that I absolutely love, but I don't think it would hold, something like Royal Wulff Ambush line with enough backing for steelhead, etc. any other combos obviously appreciated! )

Thank you everyone!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    Hello everyone... I am looking for a decent reel around 150 dollars or less, for a switch rod. I have an 11.0 4 piece deer creek 8 weight switch rod, and looking to pair it up with a decent reel, that can hold spey line, with decent backing.

Any advice on a good reel to match it up would be awesome!!

(a little more back ground. I have the Sage 1600 reels that I absolutely love, but I don't think it would hold, something like Royal Wulff Ambush line with enough backing for steelhead, etc. any other combos obviously appreciated! )

Thank you everyone!

There is a Lamson Radius 4 for sale here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2...and-Reels.html I think it was about $165 It might be large enough for you. The Radius was still machined but at a Konic price and the Lamson drag system is well known for being dependable. I own two of the Radius reels one in a size two and a size 3.5. I'm very happy with them.

Pflueger trion in a 9/10wt size holds a spey style line on a 8wt very nice. I used it on mine for a couple years, and you can get it new on ebay for about $80 which is a nice bonus.

Steve

I have the same exact rod and presently I have the running line and AFS shooting head with a small amount of backing loaded on an old Pfleuger reel and it works fine. This was the only reel that I had available and I wanted to start playing around with the rod and learn the casts. The only problem is that it isn't a large arbor so it takes a little more effort to reel in the line. It will be replaced with something better real soon.

I will be fishing in Alaska this fall and they tell me I need about 200 feet of backing at a minimum so I am leaning strongly towards the Ross CLR -- which cost more than the 165 you are looking at spending. I have looked also G. Loomis that has a larger reel that I am sure is made by the same company that the Pfleuger Trione is made by -- as the guts look exactly the same (same for Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor). I think the G Loomis was in your price range.

The main thing is to be sure the reels holds the amount of line you have to pack around--- especially if you are thinking about the thicker Skagit type lines. If you ask the fly shops they usually have a 2 handed casting guy in the shop who can also help direct you

The TFO Prism 10/11 might just be the ticket. At $99.85 the price is pretty good too.

I've been using Okuma Integrity 10/11 reels with my two handers for several years now, with no complaints.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have a TFO Deer Creek 2 handed spey that I use with a lamson konic 4.0. The 4.0 goes for $149 and the 3.5 goes for $139. The lamson konic are very nice reels with excelent fit and finish. The drag is smooth and pretty much maintenance fee. It should last you a lifetime. Give them a looksee here http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/konic.html
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I think mrfc.com still has the size 4 Radius on sale. It might be a bit light but it would have plenty of backing capacity. I have that same rod in a 7wt., and I use a Ross CLA 5, or Bauer JM5 on it. Both reels balance it well. The SA system 2 would work well too but they're a bit more than the radius.

I have used both the Pflueger Trion and the Okuma SLV reels before. I would recommend both for your situation. I have a new Batson RX7 5 weight switch and I'm planning on puting the Okuma SLV on it. They are light weight, have decent tolerances and are exceptionally smooth. The drag knob is knurled and I like that feature. They retail for only $59, but the Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsmen's Warehouse) has them on sale for $47 and change. I'm going to pick one up today.
    http://www.okumafishing.com/family/61832
    Last edited by Lotech; 04-24-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

There is no comparison between the quality of a Trion and the SLV. I have both. The Trion is an awesome reel. Having said that, I really like the new SLV I have. But have not lined it or fished with it. So, don't really know how much spey line it will hold. A fellow in another town met me to show me how to do a simple cast. He liked my Trion so much he ordered one for his spey......reckon they will hold enough line. I dunno. I have the #12 model.

On the SLV...it, as well as the Cascades have a center adjust knob. My concern is there is no stop. If you keep turning counter clockwise it will just come off the reel. If you had this backed off when you packed it....and traveled, you could find it not on the reel. The tiniest amount of a speck of dirt or sand is gonna put you out of business if it gets on the threads. And that is my concern with both the Cascades I have and the SLV. When you back off the drag the cheap plastic looking threads are exposed to the elements. When fishing it seems very likely a piece of sand, dirt, whatever can get on the threads. Most good reels the threads are enclosed and sealed. The speck of sand will not only freeze the knob on the spot...it will possibly damage the threads as well. I don't like the drag knob on the Cascades anyway. But I love the SLV. Soooo....I am going to try to go to Ace and buy an "O" ring to fit onto the threads to seal and keep dirt out. Hopefully this will work, and won't affect the drag integrity. Wish I paid only $34...for the big one like I see now on that website.

But, for the price of a Trion, you can get THREE SLV's at those sale prices. Or an SLV with extra spools.....
    Just fyi
    Jim
    Last edited by Gemrod; 04-24-2010 at 01:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread