+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Material You Don't Use.

Default Fly Tying Material You Don't Use.

Got to thinking about a remark made by one of the frequent contributors on FAOL where he mentioned that he didn't use dubbing. This made me wonder if you have a dislike for using a common fly tying material and if so why.

To start it off I very seldom using metal beads. I much prefer Czech silver lined glass beads which are much less expensive than metal and the difference in weight can be made up with lead/lead free wire.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 04-22-2010 at 04:57 PM.

I use some stuff more than others, but I can't say there's anything I won't use. I have some vinyl tubing that I don't use a lot of other than one specific fly I tie (dry fly on scud hook, parachuet style with the ribbing for a body, essentially a midge kind of).

There are colors I use more than others (I use a lot of brown and grizzly for Adams, and black and olive for warm water flies like woolie buggers). I use a lot of silver and gold tinsel for minnow imitation flies.

I can't think of anything I "never" use (there's a lot of stuff I don't have but the stuff I've bought/traded/been given, I use).

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

marabou!

it gets all over the place and thats just taking it out of the baggie!

hares ear is about the same thing. it gets all over the place!

Maybe the question should have been what do you prefer.
    I like natural materials especially if I can incorporate a material I harvested myself.
    The bottom line though...is it acceptable fly tying material or not. By that I mean...can I use it and still be considered fly fishing.
    nam

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Dubbing wax.

Why: Unnecessary.

Last edited by Dave E; 04-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Wings.

For a lot of dry flies, especially small ones, I don't wing them. Seems kinda unnecessary, especially if the wings blend in with the hackle (i.e. Adams)

I also find that I have a lot of Wood Duck flank that I end up with after hunting season which I give/trade away.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Calf Tail and Calf Body Hair. I have both and never use either. I always opt for T-base feathers or poly pro.

I used to wonder "why dub if you can use chenille?" I avoided dubbing if I could, because I was not good at it. Then I saw a video of a guy doing it, and it looked so easy! Now I dub or chenille, depending on what the pattern calls for, or the look I want, or the color I need. I actually enjoy dubbing and even dubbing loops now. Like Dave E, I also don't use dubbing wax.

I use deer hair for wings and such, but try to avoid spinning with it. I was decent at doing it, but it wasn't easy by any means, it took a lot of time (for me), plus it is messy. So, I can't say I DON'T do it, but I admit I avoid doing it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I no longer use head cement of any kind. I got really frustrated with it either clogging my eyes or spilling on my desk, so now I just simply use a double whip finish. I've been using the double whip finish on all of my flies for over a year now and haven't had a single fly come apart at the knot.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I like to stick to natural materials as much as possible. But only out of personal preference.

+ Reply to Thread