+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about flies for redear/shellcrackers

Hybrid View

Default Question about flies for redear/shellcrackers

What flies do you like to use for redears, especially when they can be found in shallows/near shore?

Is a "popper/dropper" the best thing, and what do you use for the dropper?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've had good luck with 1/80 to 1/100 micro jigs in chartruse micro chanile body and marabou tail.

Greg

I've found that redear don't hit topwater stuff as much as other sunfish. I think they tend to stay deeper, except during the spawn.

I've had good luck with weighted dragon fly nymphs and red fox squirrel nymphs, and also red San Juan worms. I'll have good luck too if I use a two fly rig, with one weighted fly and a San Juan worm (the weighted fly is to help the San Juan get down deeper). Scuds, sowbugs or any type of insect nymph fished on the bottom should work.
    Tim

@Tim:
    During the spawn is when I expect I'll have my best shot at them with fly gear, since I rarely use sinking lines. I'd heard the "popper-dropper" was a good technique for that. Not that the topwater fly gets much action, but that it acts as a strike indicator and allows you to keep a weighted fly suspended in front of the fish better?
    What size hooks do you like to tie your nymphs on for redears?

@Greg:
    That is interesting...my impression is that natural-colored nymphs would get the most looks from redears. But maybe this is erroneous? Do you feel they are attracted to bright colors? This is very helpful to consider.
    Also, are you fishing your micro jigs outside weed edges/drops? Or when the fish are in the shallows?

Thanks fellas!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The upper Hiawassee River, near Charleston, Tn. is full of Redears. They attack small Wooley Buggers like there's no tomorrow. I haven't even noticed a color preference. I usually use black, brown, or OD green. They hit larger Hare's Ear nympths, and Damsel Fly Nympths pretty hard, as well. You just need to get them down near the bottom. Sometimes you may need to use a sinking, or sink tip line, or use micro jigs.

They hit live worms really good, too. And cut up mussels, crawfish, and shrimp.

The upper Ocoee River, near Benton, Tn., also has Redears.

Iowa apparently is the north edge of their range...actually I think the lakes in the southern 1/2 of the state that have them were all initially STOCKED with them.

Very good tips, thanks!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread